I'm building a house (and infrastructure) in Ecuador

• Thread starter sbloomquist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the individual is seeking information on the weight bearing capacity of a 20m steel tube, 1/4" thick and 8" in diameter, in order to build a bridge for a 20t tanquero on a 30% slope in coastal Ecuador. They mention having steel tubes available, but are unsure of the origin. The conversation is then closed due to the forum's policy of not providing assistance with projects like this and advising the individual to seek help from local experts with appropriate permits and inspections.
sbloomquist
I am going to construct a house in coastal Ecuador and will be asking questions related to building infrastructure to support it. It will be a built on a 30% slope and I am seeking information related to construction materials.

Engineering news on Phys.org
My first question: what is the weight bearing capacity of a 20m steel tube, 1/4" thick and 8" in diameter? I need to build a bridge that will support a 20t tanquero. I have steel tubes available to me, but I do not know the origin of the steel (probably Chinese, if that helps).

Temporarily closed for moderation.

sbloomquist said:
My first question: what is the weight bearing capacity of a 20m steel tube, 1/4" thick and 8" in diameter? I need to build a bridge that will support a 20t tanquero. I have steel tubes available to me, but I do not know the origin of the steel (probably Chinese, if that helps).
Welcome to the PF.

We do not help with projects like this. You need to find a local expert in building planning and construction to help you, rather than trying to mine the Internet for help. You should also try to do this construction using the appropriate permits and inspections, especially trying to build on a slope. I have several friends who had the skills to build their own homes, and they all did it using permits and had the final product inspected.

Thread will stay closed.

1. What are the common building materials used in Ecuador?

The most common building materials used in Ecuador are adobe, bamboo, and concrete. Adobe is a mixture of mud, clay, and straw that is dried in the sun and used for walls. Bamboo is a fast-growing and sustainable material used for framing and roofing. Concrete is also widely used for foundations, walls, and floors.

2. Are there any specific building codes or regulations in Ecuador?

Yes, there are building codes and regulations in Ecuador that must be followed when constructing a house or infrastructure. These codes vary by region and may include requirements for earthquake resistance, fire safety, and structural stability. It is important to consult with a local architect or engineer to ensure compliance with these regulations.

3. What is the cost of building a house in Ecuador?

The cost of building a house in Ecuador can vary greatly depending on the location, size, and materials used. On average, it can range from $50-$100 per square foot. It is important to factor in additional costs such as permits, labor, and transportation of materials.

4. Is it necessary to hire a local contractor for building in Ecuador?

While it is not mandatory to hire a local contractor, it is highly recommended. Local contractors will have a better understanding of the building codes and regulations, as well as access to local materials and labor. They can also provide valuable insight and expertise on building in the specific region.

5. Are there any environmental considerations to keep in mind when building in Ecuador?

Yes, there are several environmental considerations to keep in mind when building in Ecuador. The country has a diverse ecosystem, so it is important to use sustainable and environmentally-friendly materials. It is also important to consider the impact on the surrounding environment, such as water and air pollution, and to implement measures to minimize this impact.