I'm building a house (and infrastructure) in Ecuador

I am going to construct a house in coastal Ecuador and will be asking questions related to building infrastructure to support it. It will be a built on a 30% slope and I am seeking information related to construction materials.

My first question: what is the weight bearing capacity of a 20m steel tube, 1/4" thick and 8" in diameter? I need to build a bridge that will support a 20t tanquero. I have steel tubes available to me, but I do not know the origin of the steel (probably Chinese, if that helps).

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Temporarily closed for moderation.

berkeman

Mentor
My first question: what is the weight bearing capacity of a 20m steel tube, 1/4" thick and 8" in diameter? I need to build a bridge that will support a 20t tanquero. I have steel tubes available to me, but I do not know the origin of the steel (probably Chinese, if that helps).
Welcome to the PF.

We do not help with projects like this. You need to find a local expert in building planning and construction to help you, rather than trying to mine the Internet for help. You should also try to do this construction using the appropriate permits and inspections, especially trying to build on a slope. I have several friends who had the skills to build their own homes, and they all did it using permits and had the final product inspected.

Thread will stay closed.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving