1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm forgetting my geometry. Can I solve this triangle?

1. May 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I'm doing a physics problem, and I think I'd get the right answer if I solved this triangle. I don't know any angles. The base is 56 meters long, its height is 500 meters, and the difference between the other two sides is 4 meters. Can I figure out the sides based on this information?
    If not, can I at least find out the difference in position of the vertex between the two unknown sides if they were equal vs in this situation? I hope that makes sense.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2014 #2
    Yes. You have enough information to figure out the sides. Think Pythagorean Theorem.

Chet

4. May 7, 2014 #3
    I am assuming you mean by dropping a perpendicular that is the height of the triangle, so it is split into two right triangles? I can't figure out what to do from there though because I don't know how the 52 m side is split.

5. May 7, 2014 #4
    Split it into y and 56-y, and then get two equations in two unknowns. Of course, the other two sides are x and x+4.

Chet

6. May 7, 2014 #5
    Thanks, I finally figured it out! Unfortunately, I got the wrong answer, so I'm approaching the actual physics problem wrong. At least I got some good geometry practice out of it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted