mathboy said:
Ok, then I shall prove every theorem and work out every major example and counter-example in topology. Thereby developing both abstract strength and computational strength.
OK Mathboy I read your comments and I guess you (and perhaps other young freshman/high school students) want to get a head start on sophisticated math..
mathwonk said:
this is like a man who says he is going to eat all the food in the world, but before starting he wants to collect it all in one pile in font of him.
Actually, if you really want to collect topology in a pile, you can do it, but you should still focus on one book. Probably G. Bredon Topology and Geometry. It's a big book for well prepared first year graduate students, supposedly 2 full years worth of topics to feast over.
But as a freshman, you will probably find that the style of writing is hard to follow because of the prerequisites assumed. But from what I read of the book, it seems the only main prerequisite is a solid grasp of undergraduate analysis at the 4000 level - such as Rudin Principles of Analysis.
In summary, having the ability to work through the abstract ideas as in this thread should be most helpful for you if you are going to study 4000 level analysis. It is more likely then that the early problems (in the problems to chapter 2) in Rudin concerning showing that compactness is equivalent to every infinite subset having a limit point, will be more likely to stick whereas a lot of people who read the book don't catch the point.
If you really grasp what is inside the (any good) 4000 analysis book (which if you can forgive personally that I did a bad job reading L'Hospital), then you can go ahead with Bredon's. Plus - it helps to have at least heard of a lot of other basic things, like knowing every linear transformation is a matrix in the finite vector space, etc.
Then if for some really strange reason (that I wouldn't personally understand) you find that Bredon is more interesting than green Rudin, then you could have a very fruitful (long term) study of a large subject..
But I have found from experience if you want to pursue this kind of project it is best to focus on one book, unless you are just (weakly) surveying some books for theorem statements in a prelim exam.
And don't mistreat 4000 level analysis - it's not really the theorems per se (which often amount to the theorems of Calculus), but the mathematical maturity to be developed... As I always say, if you are already good at it, you could easily get through the book more quickly.. If you are not good at it, then you won't get much out of topology or analysis (but perhaps you can get by studying a book like Knuth's "Art of Computer Programming", and that's a big "perhaps"!).
I would also mention that people are always commenting on how important linear algebra is, and it is, but ultimately I have found that reading and solving the problems out of a book like Hoffman/Kunzes Linear Algebra is no where near as strong of an exercise as Rudin because there's no epsilon-delta involved. So if you had to choose, you don't even need linear algebra at all as a prerequisite, except ultimately those theorems are used everywhere (it's especially assumed you can make a linear algebra argument in Bredon's Topology) as well so you'll eventually become familiar with it.
ANyways, that's my thoughts (probably just B>S>)