I'm having trouble creating my own trig function

In summary, the speaker is developing a trigonometric function for the orbit of Neptune around the sun. They are unsure of where to begin and would appreciate any help. The orbit of Neptune is an ellipse and the equation for an ellipse involves sines and cosines. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using polar coordinates.
Adriane
I'm developing my own trigonometric function concerning a "real world" problem of my choosing. I decided to go with the orbit of Neptune around the sun. I just don't know how to develop the equation itself, like if it would be sine or cosine? I'm just lost as to where to begin. If anyone can help, I'd be extremely grateful. I can create my own graph and make my own additional problems if I just knew how to create the equation. My teacher gave us a lot of freedom on this, and I guess I'm just a little lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
The orbit of Neptune, like the other planets in the solar system, is an ellipse. Do you know how to express the equation for an ellipse in terms of sines and cosines? Have you studied polar coordinates yet by chance?

1. How do I create my own trigonometric function?

To create your own trigonometric function, you need to have a clear understanding of the basic trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, and tangent) and how they relate to the sides and angles of a right triangle. You can then use these ratios to create your own function by manipulating the angle or the sides of the triangle.

2. What are the steps to creating a trigonometric function?

The steps to creating a trigonometric function are as follows:

1. Choose the angle or side of the triangle that you want to manipulate.
  2. Choose the trigonometric ratio that you want to use (sine, cosine, or tangent).
  3. Write an equation using the chosen angle or side and the trigonometric ratio.
  4. Simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable.
  5. You now have your own trigonometric function.

3. Can I create a trigonometric function that is not already defined?

Yes, you can create a trigonometric function that is not already defined. As long as you follow the basic principles of trigonometry and use the ratios to relate the angle or side of a triangle, you can create any trigonometric function you want.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a trigonometric function?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a trigonometric function include:

• Misidentifying the angle or side of the triangle that you want to manipulate.
  • Forgetting to use the correct trigonometric ratio.
  • Not simplifying the equation properly.
  • Using the wrong units for the angle (degrees instead of radians or vice versa).

5. How can I check if my trigonometric function is correct?

You can check if your trigonometric function is correct by plugging in different values for the angle or side and comparing the output to the corresponding value on a calculator or reference table. You can also graph your function to see if it matches the expected curve for the chosen trigonometric ratio.