1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm having trouble creating my own trig function

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    I'm developing my own trigonometric function concerning a "real world" problem of my choosing. I decided to go with the orbit of Neptune around the sun. I just don't know how to develop the equation itself, like if it would be sine or cosine? I'm just lost as to where to begin. If anyone can help, I'd be extremely grateful. I can create my own graph and make my own additional problems if I just knew how to create the equation. My teacher gave us a lot of freedom on this, and I guess I'm just a little lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The orbit of Neptune, like the other planets in the solar system, is an ellipse. Do you know how to express the equation for an ellipse in terms of sines and cosines? Have you studied polar coordinates yet by chance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted