1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to create a function in Precalc

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1
    Need to create a function in Precalc....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let a be the # corresponding to the first letter of your name in the alphabet. Let b be the # corresponding to the first letter of your last name. Come up with a function f such that f(a)=b and f(b)=a (you need to write the answer as y=f(x)).

2. Relevant equations
    My #'s would be f(19)=10 and f(10)=19

3. The attempt at a solution
    I would just like some help starting off....I feel a bit lost. Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2
    Re: Need to create a function in Precalc....

Hi suej173!

There is obviously the trivial function, but assuming you want more than that, then:

If a and b are given, then as you only have 2 points to work with, the simplest solution would be the function describing a straight line through these 2 points. Does this help? :smile:

If you want y to be a function of a and b also (which I'm guessing is what you're after), then f(x,a,b) is a bit more complicated. Hmmm, I'll think about that one.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. Jun 14, 2012 #3

I agree with oay, a linear equation would be the quickest and simplest way to do this. The two necessary parts to your function are that f(19) = 10 and f(10) = 19. If your equation is in the form f(x) = y, then you can think of f(19) = 10 as (19, 10) on a coordinate plane, where 19 is the x-coordinate and 10 is the y-coordinate. What about the other requirement, f(10) = 19? What would be its corresponding point on the coordinate plane?

If you've got two points whose x and y coordinates you know, can you make a function out of that? Hope that helps.

5. Jun 14, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you need y = f(x) and x = f(y), then you would have x = f(f(x)) so that f is a function which is it's own inverse .

6. Jun 14, 2012 #5

D'oh! :redface: I can't believe I wrote this! I can only put it down to the fact that it was very late at the time (UK time). Sorry!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook