Need to create a function in Precalc

In summary, if a and b are given, the simplest solution would be a straight line through the given points.
suej173
Need to create a function in Precalc...

Homework Statement

Let a be the # corresponding to the first letter of your name in the alphabet. Let b be the # corresponding to the first letter of your last name. Come up with a function f such that f(a)=b and f(b)=a (you need to write the answer as y=f(x)).

Homework Equations

My #'s would be f(19)=10 and f(10)=19

The Attempt at a Solution

I would just like some help starting off...I feel a bit lost. Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi suej173!

There is obviously the trivial function, but assuming you want more than that, then:

If a and b are given, then as you only have 2 points to work with, the simplest solution would be the function describing a straight line through these 2 points. Does this help? :smile:

If you want y to be a function of a and b also (which I'm guessing is what you're after), then f(x,a,b) is a bit more complicated. Hmmm, I'll think about that one.

Last edited:

I agree with oay, a linear equation would be the quickest and simplest way to do this. The two necessary parts to your function are that f(19) = 10 and f(10) = 19. If your equation is in the form f(x) = y, then you can think of f(19) = 10 as (19, 10) on a coordinate plane, where 19 is the x-coordinate and 10 is the y-coordinate. What about the other requirement, f(10) = 19? What would be its corresponding point on the coordinate plane?

If you've got two points whose x and y coordinates you know, can you make a function out of that? Hope that helps.

suej173 said:

Homework Statement

Let a be the # corresponding to the first letter of your name in the alphabet. Let b be the # corresponding to the first letter of your last name. Come up with a function f such that f(a)=b and f(b)=a (you need to write the answer as y=f(x)).

Homework Equations

My #'s would be f(19)=10 and f(10)=19

The Attempt at a Solution

I would just like some help starting off...I feel a bit lost. Thanks for your time!

If you need y = f(x) and x = f(y), then you would have x = f(f(x)) so that f is a function which is it's own inverse .

oay said:
If you want y to be a function of a and b also (which I'm guessing is what you're after), then f(x,a,b) is a bit more complicated. Hmmm, I'll think about that one.
D'oh! :redface: I can't believe I wrote this! I can only put it down to the fact that it was very late at the time (UK time). Sorry!

What is a function in Precalculus?

A function in Precalculus is a mathematical concept that relates an input value to an output value. It is represented by an equation or rule and is typically graphed on a coordinate plane.

Why do we need to create a function in Precalculus?

Creating a function allows us to model real-world situations and solve problems using mathematical methods. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables and how they affect each other.

How do you create a function in Precalculus?

To create a function, you need to have an independent variable (usually denoted by x) and a dependent variable (usually denoted by y). Then, you can use an equation or rule to express the relationship between the two variables.

What are the different types of functions in Precalculus?

There are many types of functions in Precalculus, including linear, quadratic, polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. Each type has its own unique characteristics and can be used to model different types of situations.

How do you graph a function in Precalculus?

To graph a function, you need to plot points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a line or curve that represents the function. You can also use transformations, such as translations and reflections, to manipulate the graph of a function.