Consider a trig function such as: y = A cos (bx - c)

In summary, for trig functions of the form y = A cos (bx - c), the phase shift can be found by dividing -c by b. However, for trig functions of the form y = A cos (-bx + c), the phase shift can be found by dividing c by -b. This may be different from what is commonly taught, but is algebraically valid. In addition, for visualizing the problem, one can think of the -c/b term as causing a phase shift to the right by c/b units on the graph of y = cos(bx).
majinkenji

For the phase shift, we would use (-c/b); which aligns with the original function equation and makes sense to me.

But in the case of a trig function such as: y = A cos (-bx + c)

For the phase shift, we would use (+c/-b); which would be a negative phase shift instead of the positive phase shift. This is probably because my school just gave us a mechanism for phase shift of simply dividing c by b. But doing this:

-bx + c = 0 -> x = -c/-b -> is this legal algebraically?

Seems to be different answer, +c which would align with the function. (y = A cos (-bx + c))

In the case of a negative B and a positive C, could I just put it together like y = [-b(x-(-c))] and use the standard c/b type approach?

Any help in 'visualizing' this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your patience.

mk

Physics news on Phys.org
majinkenji said:

For the phase shift, we would use (-c/b); which aligns with the original function equation and makes sense to me.

But in the case of a trig function such as: y = A cos (-bx + c)

For the phase shift, we would use (+c/-b); which would be a negative phase shift instead of the positive phase shift. This is probably because my school just gave us a mechanism for phase shift of simply dividing c by b. But doing this:

-bx + c = 0 -> x = -c/-b -> is this legal algebraically?

Seems to be different answer, +c which would align with the function. (y = A cos (-bx + c))

In the case of a negative B and a positive C, could I just put it together like y = [-b(x-(-c))] and use the standard c/b type approach?

Any help in 'visualizing' this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your patience.

mk

Let's look at the equation y = cos(-bx + c) = cos(-b(x - c/b))

Relative to the graph of y = cos(-bx) (which is exactly the same as y = cos(bx)), the -c/b term is a phase shift. The shift is to the right by c/b units of the graph of y = cos(bx).

Mark44 said:
Let's look at the equation y = cos(-bx + c) = cos(-b(x - c/b))

Relative to the graph of y = cos(-bx) (which is exactly the same as y = cos(bx)), the -c/b term is a phase shift. The shift is to the right by c/b units of the graph of y = cos(bx).

Thanks! Had to play around with it for a bit!

I think the simplest way of looking at it is this: the "basic" function, [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex], has period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. It starts one period at 0 and ends at [itex]2\pi[/itex]. So cos(bx+ c) starts a period where bx+ c= 0 and ends at [itex]bx+ c= 2\pi[/itex]. Solving x, a period starts at [itex]x= -c/b[/itex] and ends at [itex]x= (2\pi- c)/b[/itex]. The "phase shift" is -c/b and the period is [itex](2\pi- c)/b-(-c/b)= 2\pi/b[/itex].

1. What is the amplitude (A) of the trigonometric function?

The amplitude, A, represents the maximum distance from the midline to the highest or lowest point of the function. It is equal to half the distance between the maximum and minimum values of the function.

2. What is the period of the trigonometric function?

The period, P, represents the length of one cycle of the function. It is equal to 2π divided by the absolute value of the coefficient, b, in the argument of the function (bx - c).

3. What is the phase shift (c) of the trigonometric function?

The phase shift, c, represents the horizontal translation of the function. It is equal to the value inside the parentheses (bx - c) that causes the function to shift left or right. A positive value of c shifts the function to the right, while a negative value shifts it to the left.

4. How do I find the x-intercepts of the trigonometric function?

The x-intercepts occur when the value of the function, y, is equal to zero. To find the x-intercepts, set y = 0 and solve for x. This will give you the values of x where the function crosses the x-axis.

5. How do I graph the trigonometric function?

To graph the function, plot the x-intercepts and the highest and lowest points of the function, which can be found by adding and subtracting the amplitude, A, from the midline. Then, use the period, P, to determine the distance between each cycle and continue plotting points until you have a full cycle. Finally, use the phase shift, c, to shift the graph left or right if necessary.