Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm just obsessed with Star Trek. Anyone else?

1. Jan 3, 2014 #1
    Ok so just for the sake of talking and I'm bored, can someone type the Star Trek list from oldest/top to new/bottom???

I'm just obsessed with Star Trek. Anyone else? :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2014 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your first question describes George Takei.
    In answer to your second question: no.

Though, I've gone to the theater only twice in the last 10 years.
    Both were the new ST movies.
    I may be a pathological liar.

4. Jan 3, 2014 #3
    OmCheeto ... :p (Y) k haha I don't bother going to the theatre... I just wanted the list from old to new .... So yeah.... Is it weird I like Star Trek so much???

5. Jan 3, 2014 #4
    Pathological liar... B) hmmm...

6. Jan 3, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You DO know how to use Google search, don't you ?

7. Jan 3, 2014 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even better, there are all kinds of Star Trek websites (Memory Alpha comes to mind) and the ever handy Internet Movie Database.

8. Jan 4, 2014 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

tos
    tng
    ds9
    voy
    ent

9. Jan 4, 2014 #8
    I gave the first Star Trek a chance... didn't really like it. Downloaded the second one which from what I understand is arguably the best one, and it's still pretty boring. I do have a passion for science, but its just not the kind of movies I like.

10. Jan 4, 2014 #9
    Yes I know how to use google... *Ahem*
    Like I stated above, "JUST FOR THE SAKE OF TALKING" :) haha I liked the last one... Star Trek: into darkness.. (I think that's it)

11. Jan 4, 2014 #10
    I've been happy with the Star Trek reboots. Nicely done. Looking forward to the next.

12. Jan 4, 2014 #11

Same :D

13. Jan 4, 2014 #12

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Even though I love the original Star Trek 2 movie (The Wrath Of Khan), I thought they made Khan a more credible villain in the reboot.

14. Jan 4, 2014 #13

Yeah I agree :D

15. Jan 4, 2014 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My brother didn't care for them. He said they were cliched. But he's been a movie fanatic his whole life. By my estimate of his claims, he's seen approximately 20,000 movies in the last 40 years. I asked him what he thinks about when he watches a movie. He says he thinks about how he would do things differently. I thought that was very strange.

Anyways, I would not call myself obsessed with the series, nor movies. Being old enough to have watched it from TOS to Reboot, I would refer to myself as being part of the ST family. To have it not continue on forever, would be very sad.

16. Jan 4, 2014 #15

turbo

Gold Member

The original was pretty much Gunsmoke set in space. No need to revisit those.

17. Jan 4, 2014 #16
    Star Trek was excellent.
    Into Darkness was entertaining, but terrible.

Dear old Mr. Spock repeatedly pounding a mans face on the wing of a plane?
    Admiral Robocop is another asshat with yet another another GIANT SPACESHIP.
    [STRIKE]Sherlock Holmes[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Wolverine[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Neo[/STRIKE] Khan is now an emotionless robot man, who regenerates with magic blood and doesn't feel pain, and knows Kung Fu.

He tasks me, he tasks me, and I shall have him.
    I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia, round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames before I give him up.

FULL POWER! DAMN YOU!!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  18. Jan 4, 2014 #17

:D haha

19. Jan 5, 2014 #18

strangerep

Science Advisor

Well, any self-respecting trekkie should know the answer to this riddle:

What is the oldest body orbiting our Sun?

20. Jan 5, 2014 #19

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Oh, OK. I concede that a histrionic geriatric Rod Stewart lookalike who ad libs misquotes from Moby Dick is *much* more sinister. :rofl:

Darn it, I thought they should have had an Indian (South Asian) actor play the role. At least they didn't go full retard and have another white actor in brownface play Khan, like in the TOS (and perhaps less so in TWOK).

Extra points to anyone who immediately got the significance of the Tropic Thunder reference, a modern movie that did exactly that, damn the controversy.

BTW, I caught TWOK in the cinema during its first run, so it has a special significance for me. I remember being terrified of the Ceti eels when I was eight. But I still think the reboot version of Khan is slightly less of a joke. TWOK worked for its time because everything about it was just over the top - Kirk was over the top, Khan was over the top, so they were perfectly matched. Probably wouldn't work now as a modern movie (and not as nostalgia), because audiences are just more discerning (or jaded, if you like).

21. Jan 5, 2014 #20

I'm not a Trekkie, I'm a Trekker. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook