1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm lost on this one, i think its a torque question.

1. Apr 22, 2007 #1
    Hello, i'm working on an assignment for class and im lost on this question.
    problem
    A 5.0m ladder is with a mass of 10.0kg is leaning against a smooth wall at an angle of 25 degrees. The coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground is .30. How far can a 65kg woman climb up the ladder before the ladder starts to slip?

reasoning
    obviously the angles come into play here, but i'm not sure in what way. Since the force of friction opposes motion, and the bottom of the ladder will move across the ground in a positive direction, the force of friction moves in a negative direction across the ground. Im not sure if the force of friction is just 0.30 x mg or if its 0.30 x mg cos 25 , also, im not sure how to setup a torque equation, to solve this problem. Some hits would be appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Start by identifying all the forces acting on the ladder. Draw yourself a diagram!

4. Apr 22, 2007 #3
    thanks got it....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?