Torque Question: How Far Up a Ladder Can 800N Worker Climb?

• Thread starter oneplusone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, a ladder 6 m long and weighing 120 N leans against a smooth wall at a 50° angle with the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the floor is 0.5. To find how far up the ladder an 800 N worker can climb before it starts to slip, an equation was derived using the forces and torque involved. It was determined that there are three normal forces on the ladder, and balancing the net forces and torque would result in three equations for three variables.
oneplusone

Homework Statement

A ladder 6 m long and weighs 120 N. It leans against a smooth wall of negligible friction making an angle of 50° with the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the floor is 0.5. How far up the ladder can an 800 N worker climb before it starts to slip?

I ended up with the equation:

[itex]d*800\sin 40 = 0.5*2000*3*sin 50[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
why do you have sin(40) and sin(50). would one of those not be cos?

But for torque, isn't it:
distance * force * sin x

well. if you draw the FBD the 40 degree angle is in one direction and the 50 is in the other direction.

oneplusone said:

Homework Statement

A ladder 6 m long and weighs 120 N. It leans against a smooth wall of negligible friction making an angle of 50° with the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the floor is 0.5. How far up the ladder can an 800 N worker climb before it starts to slip?

I ended up with the equation:

[itex]d*800\sin 40 = 0.5*2000*3*sin 50[/itex]

He oneplusone! Always start these typs of mechanics question by drawing FBD. If you already have drawn it, show it to us!

Sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying. Can you write down the first set of equations so I can see?
thanks

EDIT: I drew a FBD, but am unable to post it here.

Start like this. Let the man be climbing a distance d on the ladder from the ground.

How many forces do see on the ladder?
What is the restoring Force?
At the point of slipping these forces will balance.

I chose the CM of the ladder as the pivot point.

I saw the frictional force (u*Normal force) and the weight of the worker

oneplusone said:
I chose the CM of the ladder as the pivot point.

I saw the frictional force (u*Normal force) and the weight of the worker

There are three Normal Forces on the ladder, one gravity and one Friction Force. In total there are Five Forces. Now balance the net Forces(in x and y direction separately) and net Torque. You will get three equations for three variables. Solve it.

darkxponent said:
There are three Normal Forces on the ladder, one gravity and one Friction Force.
A 'normal' force means a force at right angles to a contacting surface. There are two contacting surfaces. Maybe you mean two normal forces, two gravitational forces, and a frictional force?
oneplusone, please post your working, not just the equation you ended up with.

haruspex said:
A 'normal' force means a force at right angles to a contacting surface. There are two contacting surfaces. Maybe you mean two normal forces, two gravitational forces, and a frictional force?
oneplusone, please post your working, not just the equation you ended up with.

No i meant three Normal Forces. The person standing on the ladder will be perpendicular to the ladder surface(on one of the cyllindrical sticks). Two normal and two gravitational Force will give same answer but the Normal Forces on the ladder are three.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the pivot point.

2. How is torque related to climbing a ladder?

In the context of climbing a ladder, torque is important because it determines the amount of force needed to lift a person's weight as they climb. The higher the torque, the easier it is for the person to climb.

3. How is torque calculated in this scenario?

To calculate torque, you would need to know both the force applied (800N) and the distance from the pivot point (the distance between the ladder and the worker's feet). You can then multiply these two values together to determine the torque.

4. What other factors besides torque may impact how far a worker can climb?

Other factors that may impact how far a worker can climb include the angle of the ladder, the worker's weight and strength, and the condition of the ladder (e.g. stability).

5. Is there a limit to how high a worker can climb with 800N of torque?

Yes, there is a limit to how high a worker can climb with 800N of torque. This limit will depend on the factors mentioned above and may vary for each individual. It is important for workers to follow safety guidelines and use proper equipment when climbing ladders.