1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm making an Arithmetic Error, Electrostatic force diagrams

1. Sep 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three charged particles are placed at each of three corners of an equilateral triangle whose sides are of length 2.7 cm . Two of the particles have a negative charge: q1 = -6.0 nC and q2 = -12.0 nC. The remaining particle has a positive charge, q3= 8.0 nC . What is the net electric force acting on particle 3 due to particle 1 and particle 2?

2. Relevant equations
    Fcos(θ) = Fx
    Fsin(θ) = Fy
    θ = Tanh(Fy/Fx)
    F = (Fx^2 + Fy^2)^1/2
    F(2on3) = K(q1q2)/r^2)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the program's help function, I have found the components
    (F1on3)x = 2.96x10^-4
    (F1on3)y = 5.13x10^-4

So the only thing left was to find F(2on3) in the same way I found F(1on3).
    Arranging the problem so that q3 was at the origin, q1 was at the top of the triangle and q2 was along the x-axis, I found this:

Fy = 0 (sin0=0)
    Fx = (9x10^9)(12x10^-9)(8x10^-9) / (2.7x10^-2)^2
    = 1.19x10^-3

This makes sense given that it should attract.

Here's where the problem falls off of the rails...

I need to find Theta

So Tanh (5.13x10^-4)/((2.96x10^-4)+(1.19x10^-3)) = 0.006

I really need this to be in the vicinity of 19degrees. I do not understand what mistake I am making... Does anybody else?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should be careful here with your notation. Tan (θ) is not the same function as tanh (θ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function

If θ = tan-1 ((5.13x10-4)/((2.96x10-4)+(1.19x10-3)) is what you are trying to calculate ...

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    Really? I thought i'd looked it up and found it was the same, math-wise, just different in definition. My mistake I guess...
    Scientific calculators only offer the tanh function though. Is that because they expect you to simply find Tan(Θ) and then find 1/x?

5. Sep 5, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm confused here.

The standard trigonometric functions are abbreviated as sin, cos, tan, cot, sec, and csc. cot = 1/tan; sec = 1/cos; and csc = 1/sin.

The inverse trig functions are sin-1, cos-1, etc.

Note that sin-1 ≠ 1 / sin. If y = sin (θ), then sin-1(y) = θ; -1 ≤ y ≤ 1

The hyperbolic functions sinh, cosh, tanh, coth, sech, and csch are defined:

exp_hyperbolic.gif

6. Sep 5, 2015 #5
    Oh wow, yes I can see now how the hyperbolic functions are so much not the same thing...
    Okay, I need to find tan^-1(Θ) in order to solve this problem and get me the angle between the force components? Sounds pretty straightforward now. I was making a mistake with my calculator because I didn't distinguish the notations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted