1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Im not sure if this is right so I'm making sure.

1. Oct 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Revised by mentor:
    Solve for x
    $$\frac{\frac 1 2}{\frac 3 4 } = \frac{\frac 5 6 }{\frac x 8 } $$

Note to OP: This is $$\frac{\frac 1 2}{\frac 3 4 } = \frac{\frac 5 6 }{\frac x 8 } $$

2. Relevant equations
    $$\frac{\frac{a}{x}}{\frac{c}{1}}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to post my workings but here's the answer I got
    X= $$\frac{BCD}{E}$$

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This isn't an equation, so you can't "solve for x".
    Are you given some information about what the expression above is equal to? If so, that's an equation, so you can solve for x or one of the other variables.
    In your original expression there are only the variables x, b, and c. Where did D and E come from?

4. Oct 9, 2016 #3
    Oh. I'm sorry you see too put what I have on paper onto this site is a pain so and remember that LaTeX code that mixed me up and forgot to put the entire 'question' up I'll upload a picture instead

The only instructions given to me from my teacher was find x. So I was tellin you I'm solving for x but you didn't understand

By the way what we are trying to find is 32

Attached Files:

5. Oct 9, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To simplify both sides of this equation ##\frac {\frac A B }{\frac C D} = \frac {\frac E F}{\frac G H}##,
    multiply both sides by ##\frac C D \cdot \frac G H##. That will "cancel" the fractions in the denominators, simplifying the equation above to ##\frac A B \cdot \frac G H = \frac E F \cdot \frac C D##. At this stage you can get rid of common factors ("cancel") on each side of the equation.

6. Oct 9, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is a snippet of that image you attached.
    upload_2016-10-9_19-31-14.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted