I'm not sure which method is correct (statistics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the expected payout for Pythag-Air-US Airlines if they overbook a 240-seat airplane by 5%. The textbook solution calculates the expected payout to be $0, based on the assumption that 5% of the booked passengers will not show up. However, the other person argues that there is always a chance that someone will get bumped off and therefore the expected payout should be >$0. They suggest using a binomial distribution to calculate the probabilities of bumping off different numbers of passengers.
defetey

Homework Statement

Pythag-Air-US Airlines has determined that
5% of its customers do not show up for
their flights. If a passenger is bumped off a
flight because of overbooking, the airline
pays the customer $200. What is the
expected payout by the airline, if it
overbooks a 240-seat airplane by 5%?

The Attempt at a Solution

The textbook says the answer is 0. I think they get that by saying that 5% of 240 is 12. So the plane is overbooked by 12. So there are 252 people booked on the plane. Then the binomial expectation is (252*0.95)=239.4. Which means they payout nothing since less than 240 people are expected to show up.

However, I don't really think that's logical...the way I would do it is:

expectation=(200)(probability that 1 is bumped off)+(400)(probability that 2 are bumped off)+...etc, up to 12. Because how could they only be expected to pay out 0 as the textbook says, when sometimes they WILL have to pay out something (there is always a chance someone will get bumped off), which makes it >0.

Just to add, for example, if they were paying a trillion dollars for every person bumped off, the expected value wouldn't be 0 intuitively...just because they have a low chance of paying that, doesn't mean it can't happen.

This is all the solutions manual says:
Since the number of passengers overbooked is equal to the expected number of passengers who
will not show up for their flights, the expected payout is $0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
defetey said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

The textbook says the answer is 0. I think they get that by saying that 5% of 240 is 12. So the plane is overbooked by 12. So there are 252 people booked on the plane. Then the binomial expectation is (252*0.95)=239.4. Which means they payout nothing since less than 240 people are expected to show up.
This sounds eminently reasonable to me.
defetey said:
However, I don't really think that's logical...the way I would do it is:

expectation=(200)(probability that 1 is bumped off)+(400)(probability that 2 are bumped off)+...etc, up to 12. Because how could they only be expected to pay out 0 as the textbook says, when sometimes they WILL have to pay out something (there is always a chance someone will get bumped off), which makes it >0.
But you aren't given any information about these probabilities. All you are given is that, on average, 5% of the booked passengers don't show up.
defetey said:
Just to add, for example, if they were paying a trillion dollars for every person bumped off, the expected value wouldn't be 0 intuitively...just because they have a low chance of paying that, doesn't mean it can't happen.

This is all the solutions manual says:

Mark44 said:
This sounds eminently reasonable to me.
But you aren't given any information about these probabilities. All you are given is that, on average, 5% of the booked passengers don't show up.

But that's enough to find the probabilities using a binomial distribution, isn't it?

Ex, to find the probability that one passenger is overbooked:

=252C241(.95)^241(.05)^11

I guess this will work, but it seems the long way around.

Mark44 said:
I guess this will work, but it seems the long way around.

Yea it will take a lot longer, but the answer won't be 0 for sure though. Like I said, how could the expected payout be zero when there IS a chance they will pay SOMETHING out. That's what I've done for every other question, for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value#Examples"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best method to use for statistical analysis?

There is no one "best" method for statistical analysis as it depends on the specific research question, data, and study design. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of each method before deciding on the most appropriate one.

2. How do I determine which statistical test to use?

The choice of statistical test depends on the type of data you have (e.g. continuous, categorical), the number of variables you are comparing, and the research question you are trying to answer. Consulting with a statistician or using online resources can help guide you to the most appropriate test for your data.

3. Can I use any statistical test if my data is normally distributed?

No, the assumption of normality is just one of many assumptions that must be met before using a particular statistical test. It is important to carefully assess all assumptions before selecting a method to ensure the validity of your results.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my statistical analysis?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to carefully plan and design your study, properly collect and clean your data, and choose appropriate statistical methods. It is also important to thoroughly check for any errors or outliers that may affect your results.

5. Is it necessary to have a large sample size for statistical analysis?

The sample size needed for statistical analysis depends on the research question and the type of analysis being conducted. In general, larger sample sizes can provide more precise estimates, but it is also important to consider the cost and feasibility of obtaining a larger sample. Consulting with a statistician can help determine an appropriate sample size for your study.