1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm not sure which method is correct (statistics)

1. Jun 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3. The attempt at a solution

The textbook says the answer is 0. I think they get that by saying that 5% of 240 is 12. So the plane is overbooked by 12. So there are 252 people booked on the plane. Then the binomial expectation is (252*0.95)=239.4. Which means they payout nothing since less than 240 people are expected to show up.

However, I don't really think that's logical...the way I would do it is:

expectation=(200)(probability that 1 is bumped off)+(400)(probability that 2 are bumped off)+...etc, up to 12. Because how could they only be expected to pay out 0 as the textbook says, when sometimes they WILL have to pay out something (there is always a chance someone will get bumped off), which makes it >0.

Just to add, for example, if they were paying a trillion dollars for every person bumped off, the expected value wouldn't be 0 intuitively...just because they have a low chance of paying that, doesn't mean it can't happen.

This is all the solutions manual says:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This sounds eminently reasonable to me.
    But you aren't given any information about these probabilities. All you are given is that, on average, 5% of the booked passengers don't show up.

4. Jun 21, 2010 #3
    But that's enough to find the probabilities using a binomial distribution, isn't it?

Ex, to find the probability that one passenger is overbooked:

=252C241(.95)^241(.05)^11

5. Jun 21, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I guess this will work, but it seems the long way around.

6. Jun 21, 2010 #5
    Yea it will take a lot longer, but the answer won't be 0 for sure though. Like I said, how could the expected payout be zero when there IS a chance they will pay SOMETHING out. That's what I've done for every other question, for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expected_value#Examples"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook