Binomial Distribution (Statistics)

In summary, the problem states that Pythag-Air-US Airlines overbooks a 240 seat airplane by 5%, and if any passengers are bumped off due to overbooking, the airline pays them $200. The question is asking for the expected payout by the airline. After discussing different interpretations of the problem, it is determined that in both cases, the expected payout is zero. This is because either no one will be bumped off, or the number of people bumped off will be less than the maximum number, resulting in a zero payout.
haribol
Hi guys, if you can help me with this problem it would be of great help

1) Pythag-Air-US Airlines has determined that 5% of its customers do not show up for their flights. If a passenger is bumped off a flight because of overbooking, the airline pays the customer $200. What is the expected payout by the airline, if it overbooks a 240 seat airplane by 5%?

PS: The answer is 0. Can you please explain your reasoning because I am completely lost in this one

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like an oddly worded question. By "it overbooks a 240 seat airplane by 5%", does that mean that 5% of the people booked are "extras" (i.e. 95% of the people booked = 240 people --> 252.63 people are booked) or that it books an extra 5% on top of the 240 people (i.e. 240 + 5% of 240 = the number of people booked = 252). Now, if it's the first one, then the answer is clearly zero. 5% of the people booked are extra, and 5% of the people do not show up, so chances are the people that have to be bumped off a flight is zero, so they have to payout $0. However, the problem with the first one is that it doesn't make sense to say they book 252.63 people. However, perhaps they mean that in total, of all their, say, 1000000 customers, 5% are overbooked, i.e. not 5% of 252.63, but 5% in general. If we go with the second option, then the answer is still zero. If they overbook by 5% as per the second definition, they book 252 people. 5% of them don't show, that's 12.6 people, so in total only 239.4 people show, .6 less than the maximum, so again on average no one has to be bumped off, and the payout is zero. Of course, there are statistical problems with this, and like I said the question is kind of vague, but two approaches both lead to the given answer, so it all works out.

Thanks AKG, I think I got it

1. What is the Binomial Distribution?

The Binomial Distribution is a mathematical probability distribution that describes the likelihood of a certain number of successes in a series of independent experiments or trials.

2. What are the key characteristics of the Binomial Distribution?

The key characteristics of the Binomial Distribution include a fixed number of trials, two possible outcomes (success or failure) for each trial, a constant probability of success for each trial, and the trials being independent of each other.

3. How is the Binomial Distribution different from the Normal Distribution?

The Binomial Distribution is used for discrete data, where the possible outcomes are finite and countable, while the Normal Distribution is used for continuous data. Additionally, the Binomial Distribution has a fixed number of trials, while the Normal Distribution is infinite.

4. What types of real-world applications use the Binomial Distribution?

The Binomial Distribution can be applied in various fields such as biology, psychology, economics, and quality control. Some examples include predicting the number of defective products in a batch, estimating the probability of a certain genetic trait being passed down in a family, and analyzing the results of a survey with yes or no questions.

5. How is the Binomial Distribution calculated and represented?

The Binomial Distribution is calculated using the formula P(x) = nCx * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success. It is typically represented graphically with a histogram or bar chart, showing the probability of each possible number of successes.