Image Magnification: Find Height of Image with f=42

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Noreturn
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


f=42[/B]
Find the height of the image produced when a 3.0 cm -high object is placed at distance f+10cm

Homework Equations


u13l3f1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution



1/52= 1/3 +1/di

di=49

However, this is wrong for some reason. Thanks
 
Attachments
  • u13l3f1.gif
    u13l3f1.gif
    230 bytes · Views: 784
Physics news on Phys.org
## f=42 ## and doesn't change. ## d_o=f+10=52 ##. Find ## d_i ##. After you do that, there's one more formula that you need. ## \\ ## Incidentally, your arithmetic is incorrect: ## 1/52 \neq 1/3+1/49 ##. When you solve for ## d_i ## on this second try, you need to compute it with proper arithmetic.
 
Charles Link said:
## f=42 ## and doesn't change. ## d_o=f+10=52 ##. Find ## d_i ##. After you do that, there's one more formula that you need. ## \\ ## Incidentally, your arithmetic is incorrect: ## 1/52 \neq 1/3+1/49 ##. When you solve for ## d_i ## on this second try, you need to compute it with proper arithmetic.

So di= 218.4

hi/ho=-di/do

hi/3=218.4/52

hi=-12.6cm

That is still wrong tho. I know it can't be negative just tells us it's inverted. Where did I go wrong?
 
Noreturn said:
So di= 218.4

hi/ho=-di/do

hi/3=218.4/52

hi=-12.6cm

That is still wrong tho. I know it can't be negative just tells us it's inverted. Where did I go wrong?
I agree with your answer. If it is a computer program, try inputting +12.6 cm. Usually these images are specified with positive heights even though they are inverted.
 
So I guess it wanted it input as a negative, (even though height can't be negative?). So when I do -12.6 it says very close try/check rounding. However when I do ((1/42)-(1/52))^-1 I get 4.2 so multiply that by 3 it's 12.6 even.
 
Noreturn said:
So I guess it wanted it input as a negative, (even though height can't be negative?). So when I do -12.6 it says very close try/check rounding. However when I do ((1/42)-(1/52))^-1 I get 4.2 so multiply that by 3 it's 12.6 even.
It's very fussy if it expects an answer of ##h=-13 ## cm because of two sig figs when the exact answer is 12.6. If I were giving it as a problem, I would call the answer ## h=+12.6 ## cm. One problem with computerized answers is that they are incapable of doing any thinking.