Impact of a horseshoe hitting a metal stake

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Photon713
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Impact Metal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Photon713
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
I am trying to write a program in Action Script that describes the reaction of a horseshoe hitting a stake based on the design of the impact location, i.e., rounded, flat, etc., and the velocity of impact. The location of the center of mass is known. The impact location can vary depending on the angle of arrival. Assuming that if the horseshoe arrives perfectly square to the line of flight the horseshoe would bounce straight back. I'm interested in what happens if it arrives unsquare and hits a flat or rounded surface to the left or right of center. At his point I'm only interested in the initial reaction a few moments after arrival. Any formula or reference to such, would be appreciated. Thank You
 
Physics news on Phys.org