Impact of rim weight on energy output when biking uphill

In summary, there is a trend towards using lightweight rims for bicycles, but the effect on stability and energy expenditure is a matter of trade-offs. While heavier rims may provide a sense of stability due to their rotational properties, they also require more energy to accelerate and maintain speed. However, the increase in inertia from lighter rims is negligible and only affects acceleration and deceleration. Racing cyclists prefer lighter rims to be able to react quickly in sprints, but heavier rims may be more beneficial for climbing. The trade-off with lighter rims is the potential for increased flex, which can impact momentum during high-torque portions of the stroke.
kebrown805
For a real world problem, I've been puzzling over the trend to go after very light-weight rims for bicycles. My BS in physics hasn't provided me with solid answers. I am a bit rusty.

I have found a feeling of increased stability when running heavier rims and attributed this to an increase in momentum. That said, many fellow riders have said I am having to expend considerably more energy to keep these heavy rims moving forward, esp. when going up a hill.

Most of the information I have found on the relationship between momentum and energy refers to relativity and small particles. Please help me out here.

Thank you,
Katie

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see that it would make much difference, a few 100g extra on a bike+rider weight of 80kg. Compared to aerodynamic effects I don't think the gyroscope effects of a bike wheel is significant.

Heavier rims will give a better sense of stability, but that's due to rotational properties of the wheel- concentrating the mass near the outer edge will increase the moment of inertia over a disc of uniform density. But then you have more mass to lug up against gravity, and more mass to accelerate in the face of loss- from traction, aerodynamics, etc.

If all the mass were at the rim, the effective increase in inertia is double that of the mass of the rim, but this only affects acceleration and deceleration. At constant speed, the increase is just a matter of the mass of the rim.

Rotational energy stored = 0.5 I w^2 and for a hoop I = mr^2/2
At 50km/h a 700mm wheel is rotating at around 6 rev/s or 44rad/s.

So an extra 100g in the rim would store an extra = 0.5 * (0.1 * 0.35^2)/2 * 44^2 = 6J

Unless I've made a mistake somewhere, completely negligible.

Jeff Reid said:
If all the mass were at the rim, the effective increase in inertia is double that of the mass of the rim, but this only affects acceleration and deceleration. At constant speed, the increase is just a matter of the mass of the rim.
Yes that's exactly the situation. So racing cyclists want to have their rims/tires as light as possible because weight there has a two times effect on the overall inertia of a rolling bike, and they of course want to be able to react as fast as possible in a sprint or chase-down.

As for going up hills it's not inertia but just gravity coming into play so the effect is only one times. That is, it makes absolutely no difference whether the extra weight is on your tires/rims or in your drink bottle or around your waist, wherever it is it will impede your climbing just the same.

A brief comment that uphill the inertia also matters since you are constantly accelerating the wheels to maintain a constant speed.

Also, the trade off in this is how much flex you get in the wheel, consider the spokes as shock absorbers and the wheel a suspension system when they get light. What happens is a strong rider will deform the wheel enough to lose some momentum during the high-torque portion of the stroke, this is very noticable to heavy riders so they normally will choose a deeper profile and more spokes or a composite wheel with more strength to counteract it.

1. How does rim weight affect energy output when biking uphill?

The weight of the rim on a bike impacts the amount of energy required to pedal uphill. The heavier the rim, the more effort is needed to overcome its inertia and maintain momentum. This results in a higher energy output for the rider.

2. Is it better to have a heavier or lighter rim when biking uphill?

In general, a lighter rim is better for energy efficiency when biking uphill. This is because less energy is needed to overcome the inertia of a lighter rim, allowing the rider to maintain momentum with less effort.

3. How much of a difference in energy output can be expected with different rim weights?

The exact difference in energy output will vary depending on the specific weight of the rim and other factors such as the grade of the uphill and the rider's fitness level. However, even small differences in rim weight can have a noticeable impact on energy output when biking uphill.

4. Are there any other factors besides rim weight that affect energy output when biking uphill?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect energy output when biking uphill. These include the weight and fitness level of the rider, the grade and length of the uphill, and the type of bike and tires being used.

5. Are there any benefits to using a heavier rim when biking uphill?

While a lighter rim is generally better for energy efficiency when biking uphill, there are some potential benefits to using a heavier rim. A heavier rim can provide more stability and control on rough terrain, which may be advantageous for some riders.