1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implement a function with 2-input NAND gates

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    Hello people!

I've just done a K-Map and gotten both the SOP and POS, but have a problem with this function:

f = acd + cab + dab + cdab + abcd ,
    f = (a+b+c+d) * (b+c+d) * (b+c+d) * (a+b) * (a+c) * (a+d)

and got to implement it only using NAND gates with 2 inputs. Notice the underline is the negated variable.

Thank you so much in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What did you get from your K-map? Do you know how to make an OR gate from NAND gates to implement your SOP solution?

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3
    Hi, thanks for your answer. I got (1 / 1 / 0 / 0 ... 0 / 1 / 0 / 0 ... 1 / 0 / 1 / 0 ... 0 / 1 / 0 / 0 ) I know how yo do an OR gate from 2 variables, not for more.

Image last number in right bottom is 0, not 1.

Attached Files:

5. Mar 4, 2015 #4

berkeman

To build a wider OR gate, you just make a tree of 2-input OR gates...

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/logic/log11.gif
    log11.gif

6. Mar 4, 2015 #5
    Thanks again for helping me.
    Ok I understand the image you've attached but I have just to use NAND gates with 2 inputs.

I upload a picture where I show you the step I'm stuck in, just in the the part when I have to add both terms.

Attached Files:

7. Mar 4, 2015 #6

berkeman

You need to include the inverters as part of each OR stage. You show the final stage without those inversions...

8. Mar 4, 2015 #7
    But I only have NAND gates with 2 inputs. It's a rule from the exercise.

9. Mar 4, 2015 #8

berkeman

You already show in that drawing how to use a 2-input NAND to make a NOT gate... That's how you got your first 2 NOR gate equivalents...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted