Implementing a 3 to 8 Binary Decoder.

In summary, the function f(w1,w2,w3) = Ʃm(0,1,2,4,7) can be implemented using a 3 to 8 binary decoder and an OR gate. This is achieved by connecting the three inputs to a multiplexer and then connecting all the outputs that are 1 to an OR gate. This eliminates the need for AND gates and allows for an efficient implementation of the function.
shamieh
Show how the function f(w1,w2,w3,) = Ʃm(0,1,2,4,7) can be implemented using a 3 to 8 binary decoder and an OR gate (hint look at a MUX built using a decoder and figure out how to remove the AND gates.

I know that a 3 to 8 decoder would have something like this:
  1. w1 w2 w3 f0 f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7
  2. 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  3. 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
  4. 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
  5. 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
  6. 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0
  7. 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
  8. 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
  9. 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

The problem I'm running into is this: There are NO good examples of MUX online, there are also NO good examples really of how to do this when given Ʃm(some numbers in here) If you don't believe me, just try to google it. I also know that this circuit is like w1,w2,w3, connected to a inverter then connected to a and gate.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I actually just figured this one out you connect the three inputs to a multiplxer and then connect all the ones that output a 1 to a or gate.

1. What is a 3 to 8 binary decoder?

A 3 to 8 binary decoder is a digital circuit that takes in a 3-bit binary input and produces an output on one of the eight output lines, depending on the value of the input. It essentially decodes the binary input and selects the appropriate output line to activate.

2. How does a 3 to 8 binary decoder work?

A 3 to 8 binary decoder works by using a combination of logic gates, such as AND, OR, and NOT gates, to decode the binary input. Each output line represents a different combination of the input bits, and the logic gates determine which output line is activated based on the input value.

3. What is the purpose of a 3 to 8 binary decoder?

The purpose of a 3 to 8 binary decoder is to simplify the decoding process for a digital circuit. Instead of using multiple AND gates to decode a binary input, a 3 to 8 decoder can do it in a single step, making the circuit more efficient and easier to design.

4. How is a 3 to 8 binary decoder implemented in a circuit?

A 3 to 8 binary decoder is typically implemented using integrated circuits (ICs) that contain the necessary logic gates. The IC is connected to the input lines and output lines, and the output can then be used to control other parts of the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of a 3 to 8 binary decoder?

A 3 to 8 binary decoder is commonly used in digital electronics for tasks such as selecting memory addresses, controlling multiple output devices, and decoding instruction sets in microprocessors. It is also used in data transmission and error detection systems.