Implementing angular momentum approach in problem

In summary: Personally, I don't like this sort of question. But, perhaps it's good not to assume that everything is in the question. Or, at least to analyse the question more.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

An object is in uniform circular horizontal motion at the end of a chord of length L. Its tangential speed is v. The chord is pulled into length 0.5L in such a way that the tension in the chord remains constant. As a result, the tangential speed:

a) remains constant
b) increases to 2v
c) decreases to 0.5v
d) increases to 1.4v
e) decreases to 0.7v

Homework Equations

The correct answer is E.
This can be solved using T = m * v^2/r approach. I get this, and I know how this works.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I though initially: we do not have any net torques on the system [using an analogy of planetary motion around the sun, where angular momentum is conserved, substituting Tension force for gravitational force], so angular momentum has to be conserved.

Thus:

Li = Lf
[m*v*r]i = [m*v*r]f

I eliminate the m's, and then plug:
v*L = x * 0.5 L
thus x = 2v, which is b, an incorrect answer.

Could anyone please explain why this approach is incorrect?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Physics news on Phys.org
RoboNerd said:
Could anyone please explain why this approach is incorrect?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

If the tension in the chord doesn't change, why would the object move in?

Try to imagine actually carrying out this experiment.

PeroK said:
If the tension in the chord doesn't change, why would the object move in?

Object moves in because it slows down?

RoboNerd said:
Object moves in because it slows down?

So, someone would have to slow it down in this experiment. If they didn't, the tension would necessarily increase.

This is another slighly disengenuous question, where you are being caught out by what is not said in the question!

PeroK said:
This is another slighly disengenuous question, where you are being caught out by what is not said in the question!
The authors write really crummy questions. I have been dealing with them for the past 1.5 days now :-/

RoboNerd said:
The authors write really crummy questions. I have been dealing with them for the past 1.5 days now :-/

Personally, I don't like this sort of question. But, perhaps it's good not to assume that everything is in the question. Or, at least to analyse the question more. My initial thought was: that's not right, the tension must increase to pull the object in. Then I realized what was intended.

1. What is angular momentum and why is it important in problem solving?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is important in problem solving because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of rotating systems.

2. How is the angular momentum approach different from other problem solving methods?

The angular momentum approach involves using the concept of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This differs from other methods that may focus on forces or energy.

3. What types of problems can be solved using the angular momentum approach?

The angular momentum approach is commonly used in problems involving rotating bodies, such as spinning objects or rotating systems. It can also be applied to problems involving collisions and explosions.

4. What are the steps for implementing the angular momentum approach in problem solving?

The first step is to identify the relevant objects and their angular velocities. Next, determine the direction of the angular velocities and calculate the initial and final angular momenta of each object. Then, use the conservation of angular momentum principle to set up an equation and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check and interpret the solution in the context of the problem.

5. Are there any limitations to using the angular momentum approach in problem solving?

While the angular momentum approach is a useful tool in many problems, it may not be applicable in all situations. For example, if there are external torques acting on the system, the conservation of angular momentum principle may not hold true. Additionally, certain complex systems may require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve using this approach.