Implications of Movement Greater than Speed of Light?

In summary, tachyons are hypothetical particles that travel faster than the speed of light. They have been researched, but some scientists are not sure if they actually exist.
danielu13
I'm doing some research trying to find behavior of particles at speeds faster than light. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any papers on this, as I can't seem to find any except for papers on superluminal movement rather than what happens when particles actually travel faster than the speed of light.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you heard about tachyons? They're highly speculative, but some legitimate research papers have been written about them. The Wikipedia article has references.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon

danielu13 said:
[...]I can't seem to find any except for papers on superluminal movement rather than what happens when particles actually travel faster than the speed of light.

What is the difference between "superluminal movement" and "travel faster than the speed of light?" To me these sound like the same thing.

DrewD said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

but I doubt you will find anything about particles traveling faster than [itex]c[/itex] since it is quite generally accepted to be impossible.

Thanks, I will look into this.

jtbell said:
Have you heard about tachyons? They're highly speculative, but some legitimate research papers have been written about them. The Wikipedia article has references.

I stumbled upon those a little while ago, but some kind of wording seemed to suggest that they have been disproven. I will look more into them though. Thanks!

bcrowell said:
What is the difference between "superluminal movement" and "travel faster than the speed of light?" To me these sound like the same thing.

I just checked and they are indeed the same thing. I was thinking of superluminal movement as movement that appears to be faster than the speed of light in the reference frame of an observer but is never actually moving faster than the speed of light at any point in space. My apologies.

jtbell said:

If you're talking about excitations of fields with imaginary mass,I remember reading somewhere that any localized excitations of such fields moves slower than light and any excitations which moves faster than light can't be localized
I don't remember where it was but I guess you can find it if you search and I should tell that it contained some kind of a proof

Last edited:
The effect of time dilation means that for a still observer the faster you go the more in slow motion you appear to him. At the speed of light you appear completely frozen. Past the speed of light ...you know what happens by now.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics, denoted by the letter "c". It is defined as the speed at which light travels in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to current scientific understanding, no. The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel.

3. What are the implications of movement greater than the speed of light?

If it were possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light, it would have several mind-boggling consequences. It would violate the laws of causality, meaning that an effect could occur before its cause. It would also require infinite energy, which is not possible according to the laws of physics.

4. Is there any evidence of objects moving faster than the speed of light?

No, there is currently no evidence of anything traveling faster than the speed of light. In fact, numerous experiments and observations have consistently confirmed the speed of light as the ultimate speed limit in the universe.

5. Are there any theories that challenge the speed of light as the maximum speed?

Some theories, such as string theory and some versions of quantum mechanics, suggest the possibility of phenomena that can travel faster than the speed of light. However, these theories are still highly speculative and have not been experimentally proven.