1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit differentiation help three variables!

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a question. How in general would one differentiate a composite function like F(x,y,z)=2x^2-yz+xz^2 where x=2sint , y=t^2-t+1 , and z = 3e^-1 ? I want to find the value of dF/dt evaluated at t=0 and I don't know how. Can someone please walk me through this?

2. Relevant equations
    Mod note: Fixed the equation below to match the OP's change above.
    F(x,y,z)=2x^2-yz+xz^2

dF/dx=4x-z^2 , dF/dy= -z , dF/dz = 2xz-y , dz/dt=0 , dx/dt=2cost, dy/dt=2t-1

dF/dx dx/dt + dF/dy dy/dt + dF/dz dz/dt= dF/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried a couple of things, including chain rules and jacobians. I know that dF/dt should equal dF/dx dx/dt + dF/dy dy/dt + dF/dz dz/dt but for some reason this doesn't work, or I am doing something wrong. I start out by differentiating to get dF/dx=4x-z^2 , dF/dy= -z , dF/dz = 2xz-y , dz/dt=0 , dx/dt=2cost, dy/dt=2t-1 but this doesn't match the answer, which my book says is 24.

How do they get this, and where is my error? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a typo in your definition for F(x, y, z)? As you wrote it, it could be simplified to 3x2 - yz.
    These three should be partial derivatives, and a couple of them are incorrect, at least based on what you wrote.

$$ \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} = 6x $$

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    Sorry, yes there was a typo, I fixed it. Are the partials still wrong? Thanks for responding so quickly!

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4
    I want to rephrase the question. Since everyone else I have talked to thinks there was an error in the book, does everyone here agree?

6. Oct 24, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Here's your work from post #1.
    Your partial with respect to x has a sign error. The other partials are correct, and your three derivatives are correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook