1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Implicit Differentiation: two different answers found. Please explain.

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Could anyone explain that I got two different answers for this question: find [tex]dy/dx[/tex] of [tex]\frac{x}{x+y}-\frac{y}{x}=4[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1. using quotient rule:
    [tex]\frac{x+y-(1+dy/dx)x}{(x+y)^{2}}-\frac{x\frac{dy}{dx}-y}{x^{2}}=0[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{y}{(x+y)^{2}}-\frac{x}{(x+y)^{2}}\frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{y}{x^{2}}-\frac{1}{x}\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex]
    [tex](\frac{x}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{1}{x})\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{y}{x^{2}}[/tex]
    [tex]x(\frac{1}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{1}{x^{2}})\frac{dy}{dx}=y(\frac{1}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{1}{x^{2}})[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=y/x[/tex]

2. simplify using common denominator before taking derivative:
    [tex]\frac{x^{2}}{x^{2}+xy}-\frac{xy+y^{2}}{x^{2}+xy}=4[/tex]
    [tex]x^{2}-xy-y^{2}=4x^{2}+4xy[/tex]
    [tex]-y^{2}=3x^{2}+5xy[/tex]
    [tex]-2y\frac{dy}{dx}=6x+5y+5x\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{6x+5y}{2y+5x}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They aren't really different. Pick a point on the original curve like y=1, x=(sqrt(13)-5)/6. Substitute it into both of your expressions for dy/dx. You'll get the same thing. Coincidence?

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or just try it with a braindead simple example. Take y/x=1. Do it one way and you get dy/dx=y/x, do it the other way and you get dy/dx=1. Which one is right?

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4
    I have tried a few examples, and they all came out to be the same. Wow, I am so amazed that two equations that look so different can be the same thing.
    I also tried to let the two equations equal:
    1. [tex]
    \frac{dy}{dx}=y/x
    [/tex]
    2. [tex]
    \frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{6x+5y}{2y+5x}
    [/tex]
    Simplifying it, I got
    [tex]y/x= -\frac{6x+5y}{2y+5x}[/tex]
    [tex]2y^{2}+5xy=-6x^{2}-5xy[/tex]
    [tex]6x^{2}+10xy+2y^{2}=0[/tex]
    [tex]3x^{2}+5xy+y^{2}=0[/tex]

Which is the same as the original equation, shown in the process using the second method, the one says "simplifying using common denominator".

6. Mar 7, 2010 #5
    Ya, thank you so much. What I had always been doing were trying disprove the first method, the one saying "using quotient rule", because of the step following this:
    [tex]
    x(\frac{1}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{1}{x^{2}})\frac{dy}{dx }=y(\frac{1}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{1}{x^{2}})
    [/tex]

7. Mar 7, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to be clear. y/x and -(6x+5y)/(2y+5x) aren't the same expression. But you can prove they are equal if you combine them with x/(x+y)-y/x=4. Did you see post 3? It's a really simple example of the same thing.

8. Mar 7, 2010 #7
    Ya, I know they are not the same thing. They are just related to the original equation.

By post three, you mean this?
    I didn't understand it. Were you trying to tell me that all three of these equations relate to each other?

9. Mar 7, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, (y/x)=1. (y/x)'=y'/x-y/x^2=0. Solve for y'=y/x. Or reduce the original equation and get y=x. So y'=1. y'=1 and y'=y/x LOOK different. Until you remember the original equation was y/x=1. It's the same sort of difference you are looking at. Just a lot more obvious.

10. Mar 7, 2010 #9
    I was confused about what you meant by "do it". I thought you wanted me to plug that equation into the ones I was doing. Now it's clear. Thanks a lot.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook