Implicit Differentiation: two different answers found. Please explain.

In summary, the homework statement is that find dy/dx of \frac{x}{x+y}-\frac{y}{x}=4. The Attempt at a Solution: 1. using quotient rule: \frac{x+y-(1+dy/dx)x}{(x+y)^{2}}-\frac{x\frac{dy}{dx}-y}{x^{2}}=0.\frac{y}{(x+y)^{2}}-\frac{x}{(x+y)^{2}}\frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{y}{x^{2}}-\frac{
benhou

Homework Statement

Could anyone explain that I got two different answers for this question: find [tex]dy/dx[/tex] of [tex]\frac{x}{x+y}-\frac{y}{x}=4[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. using quotient rule:
[tex]\frac{x+y-(1+dy/dx)x}{(x+y)^{2}}-\frac{x\frac{dy}{dx}-y}{x^{2}}=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{y}{(x+y)^{2}}-\frac{x}{(x+y)^{2}}\frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{y}{x^{2}}-\frac{1}{x}\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex]
[tex](\frac{x}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{1}{x})\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{y}{x^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]x(\frac{1}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{1}{x^{2}})\frac{dy}{dx}=y(\frac{1}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{1}{x^{2}})[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=y/x[/tex]

2. simplify using common denominator before taking derivative:
[tex]\frac{x^{2}}{x^{2}+xy}-\frac{xy+y^{2}}{x^{2}+xy}=4[/tex]
[tex]x^{2}-xy-y^{2}=4x^{2}+4xy[/tex]
[tex]-y^{2}=3x^{2}+5xy[/tex]
[tex]-2y\frac{dy}{dx}=6x+5y+5x\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{6x+5y}{2y+5x}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
They aren't really different. Pick a point on the original curve like y=1, x=(sqrt(13)-5)/6. Substitute it into both of your expressions for dy/dx. You'll get the same thing. Coincidence?

Or just try it with a braindead simple example. Take y/x=1. Do it one way and you get dy/dx=y/x, do it the other way and you get dy/dx=1. Which one is right?

I have tried a few examples, and they all came out to be the same. Wow, I am so amazed that two equations that look so different can be the same thing.
I also tried to let the two equations equal:
1. [tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}=y/x
[/tex]
2. [tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{6x+5y}{2y+5x}
[/tex]
Simplifying it, I got
[tex]y/x= -\frac{6x+5y}{2y+5x}[/tex]
[tex]2y^{2}+5xy=-6x^{2}-5xy[/tex]
[tex]6x^{2}+10xy+2y^{2}=0[/tex]
[tex]3x^{2}+5xy+y^{2}=0[/tex]

Which is the same as the original equation, shown in the process using the second method, the one says "simplifying using common denominator".

Ya, thank you so much. What I had always been doing were trying disprove the first method, the one saying "using quotient rule", because of the step following this:
[tex]
x(\frac{1}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{1}{x^{2}})\frac{dy}{dx }=y(\frac{1}{(x+y)^{2}}+\frac{1}{x^{2}})
[/tex]

Just to be clear. y/x and -(6x+5y)/(2y+5x) aren't the same expression. But you can prove they are equal if you combine them with x/(x+y)-y/x=4. Did you see post 3? It's a really simple example of the same thing.

Ya, I know they are not the same thing. They are just related to the original equation.

By post three, you mean this?
Dick said:
Or just try it with a braindead simple example. Take y/x=1. Do it one way and you get dy/dx=y/x, do it the other way and you get dy/dx=1. Which one is right?

I didn't understand it. Were you trying to tell me that all three of these equations relate to each other?

Ok, (y/x)=1. (y/x)'=y'/x-y/x^2=0. Solve for y'=y/x. Or reduce the original equation and get y=x. So y'=1. y'=1 and y'=y/x LOOK different. Until you remember the original equation was y/x=1. It's the same sort of difference you are looking at. Just a lot more obvious.

I was confused about what you meant by "do it". I thought you wanted me to plug that equation into the ones I was doing. Now it's clear. Thanks a lot.

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical method used to find the derivative of an implicitly defined function. This means that the function is not explicitly given in the form of y = f(x), but rather in an equation that relates x and y.

2. Why might two different answers be found when using implicit differentiation?

Two different answers can be found when using implicit differentiation because the method involves using the chain rule, which can yield different results depending on the way it is applied. Additionally, implicit functions may have multiple solutions for the derivative, leading to different answers.

3. How do you know which answer is correct?

In most cases, both answers are technically correct. However, to determine which answer is the most useful or appropriate, you may need to consider the context of the problem or compare the answers to other known information about the function.

4. Can implicit differentiation be used for any function?

No, implicit differentiation can only be used for functions that are implicitly defined. This means that the function cannot be written explicitly in the form of y = f(x), but rather as an equation that relates x and y.

5. Is implicit differentiation the same as regular differentiation?

No, implicit differentiation is not the same as regular differentiation. Regular differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is explicitly defined as y = f(x), while implicit differentiation is used for functions that are implicitly defined. Implicit differentiation requires the use of the chain rule, while regular differentiation may use other differentiation rules such as the power rule or product rule.