Implicit Differentiation with Trig

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the slope of the tangent line to x tan y = y - 1 when y = pi/4. The participants shared their attempts at solving the problem and discussed the correct derivative and value for x. The final solution was determined to be dy/dx=-1/tan(pi/4), giving a slope of approximately 0.7.
bondgirl007

Homework Statement

Find the slope of the tangent line to x tan y = y - 1 when y = pi/4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to get the derivative. Here's what I do.

First I used the product rule the left side of the equation and got sec^2 x dy/dx + tan y = dy/dx.

When I simplify, I get dy/dy over dy/dx, which just reduces to 1 so I'm having trouble with getting dy/dx on it own.

Physics news on Phys.org
you miswrote it

[tex]x\sec^{2}y\frac{dy}{dx}+tan{y}=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

but either way you should have been able to algebraically solve for dy\dx

what would your next step be to find x?

Last edited:
I derived it and I got:

dy/dx = -tany/(xsec^2 - 1).

Is that the right derivative?

bondgirl007 said:
I derived it and I got:

yeppp

Thanks for the help, people!

I need help with the tangent line now though. I have to find it when y = pi/4.
I'm not sure how to approach it because I don't have the value for x.

you can easily find it, you're given your y value. you also have your original equation, correct? where does the tangent line pass through?

It passes through pi/4.

Here's my equation:

dy/dx = -tan(pi/4)/(xsec^2 - 1)

I have two unknowns so not sure how to find it.

[tex]x\tan{y}=y-1[/tex] @ [tex](x,\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]

Last edited:
For x, I got:

pi/4 - 1

When I find the slope and plug these in, I don't get what to do with the x and sec^2. Is x part of the sec or not?

that's not the X value i got, check it again

[tex]x=\frac{y-1}{\tan{y}}[/tex]

the derivative is the slope of your tangent line at your (x,y) so once you find both of those, you can find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Thanks for the reply. I solved for x and still got: pi/4 - 1.

I'm not sure how to get the derivative by subbing in for dy/dx. What should I do with the sec^2. Is x part of the sec^2 function or is it a coefficient?

Last edited:
bondgirl007 said:
Thanks for the reply. I solved for x and still got: pi/4 - 1.

I'm not sure how to get the derivative by subbing in for dy/dx. What should I do with the sec^2. Is x part of the sec^2 function or is it a coefficient?
lol I'm so sorry, had a dumb moment. [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}=1[/tex]

i make too many mistakes!

[tex]y'=\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\tan{y}}{1-x\sec^{2}y}[/tex] @ (x,y) = m = slope

Last edited:
I got the same as numerator as you for the derivative but my denominator is xsec^2 y - 1

bondgirl007 said:
I derived it and I got:

it's equivalent

This is the reply for bond girl007

Solution:
xtany=y-1
differentiate the two sides of the equation:
d/dx(xtany) =d/dx(y-1) Lows of differentiation

tany+sec^2(y)dy/dx=dy/dx

make dy/dx in one side: tany=(1-sec^2y)dy/dx

using laws of trigonometrics: tany=(-tan^2y)dy/dx

we get: 1=-tanydy/dx

dy/dx=-1/tany

dy/dx=-1/tan(pi/4)

Hence: dy/dx=-1

ali1982 said:
Solution:
xtany=y-1
differentiate the two sides of the equation:
d/dx(xtany) =d/dx(y-1) Lows of differentiation

tany+sec^2(y)dy/dx=dy/dx

make dy/dx in one side: tany=(1-sec^2y)dy/dx

using laws of trigonometrics: tany=(-tan^2y)dy/dx

we get: 1=-tanydy/dx

dy/dx=-1/tany

dy/dx=-1/tan(pi/4)

Hence: dy/dx=-1
[tex][x\tan{y}=y-1] \neq [\frac{dy}{dx}=\sec^{2}y\frac{dy}{dx}+\tan{y}][/tex]

[tex][x\tan{y}=y-1] \mbox{should equal, if I'm not mistaken b/c it's almost 2am} [x\sec^{2}y\frac{dy}{dx}+\tan{y}=\frac{dy}{dx}][/tex]

check please!

Last edited:
Indeed, ali1982 forgot the x in his equation. The result x=pi/4-1 is indeed correct. Now it is not difficult to find the slope. It is allready derived as dy/dx=tan(y)/[1-x*sec^2(y)]. The numbers x and y have been obtained, just put them in here. I think yo should get something like 2/(6-pi) approx. 0.7

thanYes, I forgot the x.When we differentiate, the term : sec^2ydy/dx must be multiplied by x ,and this term will be : xsec^2ydy/dx.
Thanks for correction.

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly given in the form y = f(x). It involves treating the variables as functions and using the chain rule to find the derivative.

2. How is trigonometric implicit differentiation different from regular implicit differentiation?

Trigonometric implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of equations involving trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. This can be more complicated than regular implicit differentiation because it requires the use of trigonometric identities and the chain rule.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used in implicit differentiation?

Some common trigonometric identities used in implicit differentiation include the chain rule for trigonometric functions, the Pythagorean identity, and the quotient rule for trigonometric functions.

4. How do you handle trigonometric functions with exponents in implicit differentiation?

In implicit differentiation, trigonometric functions with exponents are handled by using the chain rule and the power rule. The chain rule is used to find the derivative of the outer function, while the power rule is used to find the derivative of the inner function.

5. What are some tips for solving problems involving trigonometric implicit differentiation?

Some tips for solving problems involving trigonometric implicit differentiation include practicing basic trigonometric identities, understanding the chain rule and power rule, and being familiar with the derivative of trigonometric functions. It is also helpful to carefully identify and isolate the variables and use proper notation when expressing the derivative.