Implicit Differentiation z=f(x/y) meaning

In summary: You can think of ##f'(u)## as being ##F'## in your notation. So what would ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}## be?In summary, the conversation is about finding partial derivatives ∂z/∂x and ∂z/∂y from the statement z= ƒ(x/y) using the chain rule. The solution involves letting u=x/y and using the fact that ∂z/∂x = f'(u)/y and ∂z/∂y = -xf'(u)/y^2.
xoxomae
Mod note: Moved from the Homework section
1. Homework Statement

This might seem like a stupid question but I'm unsure what z= ƒ(x/y) means? I'm not sure how I would find ∂z/∂x , ∂z/∂y just from this statement either.

Thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
xoxomae said:

Homework Statement

This might seem like a stupid question but I'm unsure what z= ƒ(x/y) means? I'm not sure how I would find ∂z/∂x , ∂z/∂y just from this statement either.

Thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You could try taking ##f## to be some simple function. For example ##f(X) = X^2##, where I've used ##X## to define the function to avoid confusion with ##x, y##.

xoxomae said:
Mod note: Moved from the Homework section
1. Homework Statement

It means that z is a function of the quotient x/y. For example, ##z = (x/y)^2 + 3(x/y)##

To find the partial derivatives, you'll need to use the chain rule.

I'm sorry, I'm just really unsure how to apply the chain rule. So is ∂z/∂t = ∂/∂x(x/y) * F' ? But I'm unsure how to find all the other ones. I have the solutions attached to this post but I have no idea how to get them.
Thank You

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 02.37.54.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 02.37.54.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 526
xoxomae said:
I'm sorry, I'm just really unsure how to apply the chain rule. So is ∂z/∂t = ∂/∂x(x/y) * F' ? But I'm unsure how to find all the other ones. I have the solutions attached to this post but I have no idea how to get them.
Thank You
What are ##t## and ##F##?

Can you calculate ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}## if ##z=f(u(x,y))## where ##u## is a function of ##x## and ##y##?

So i would let u=x/y so then

$$ \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial z }{\partial u} \frac{\partial u }{\partial x} = \frac{f'}{y} $$

cause I'm guessing $$\frac{\partial z }{\partial u} = f'$$ or am i completely wrong?

That's right.

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of a single variable. This means that the function contains multiple variables, and the dependent variable is not isolated on one side of the equation.

What is the meaning of z=f(x/y) in implicit differentiation?

z=f(x/y) represents a function where the dependent variable, z, is a function of the ratio of two independent variables, x and y. This means that as the values of x and y change, the value of z will also change.

Why is implicit differentiation important?

Implicit differentiation is important because it allows us to find the derivative of a function that cannot be easily solved using traditional methods. It is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics and engineering.

What are the steps for implicit differentiation?

The steps for implicit differentiation are as follows:1. Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable.2. Use the chain rule for any terms that contain nested functions.3. Isolate the derivative of the dependent variable on one side of the equation.4. Solve for the derivative.

What are some common applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation has many applications in various fields, such as:- Finding the slope of a curve at a specific point- Calculating the velocity and acceleration of moving objects- Determining the rate of change in chemical reactions- Solving optimization problems in economics and finance- Deriving equations in physics, such as the wave equation and the Schrödinger equation