1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implied Dom/Ran = tan(2arcsin(x))

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

State the implied domain and range of y= tan(2arcsin(x))

3. The attempt at a solution

Let g : [-1,1] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [-[itex]\pi[/itex],[itex]\pi[/itex]] , be the function g(x) = 2arcsin(x)

Let f : (-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex],[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] R, be the function f(x) = tan(x)

So, (f[itex]\circ[/itex]g)(x) = tan(2arcsin(x))

ran(g) [itex]\cap[/itex] dom(f) = [-[itex]\pi[/itex],[itex]\pi[/itex]] [itex]\cap[/itex] (-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex],[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]) = (-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex],[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex])

Restricting dom(g) so that ran(g) = (-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex],[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]),

= -[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] < 2arcsin(x) < [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

= -[itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] < arcsin(x) < [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

= -[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] < x < [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

Hence, ran(f[itex]\circ[/itex]g)(x) = R

Hence, dom(f[itex]\circ[/itex]g)(x) = [-[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex],[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]]
    But the above answer (implied domain of f(g(x))) is wrong.

Note : The answer given to me is [-1,1]\{[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]}. It kind of scares me how far off my answer is...

Using the above method (I draw a visual aid to help me...), I seemed to have no problems finding implied dom/ran for other equations such as y = arcsin(1 - x), y = arccos(2x + 3), y = arctan(4 - x), y = arccos(sin(2x)), etc.

Any help will definitely be appreciated ^_^... I've been pondering about this question for an hour+...
    Calculus really scares me sometimes =(

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You got the domain for f wrong. For example, tan x is defined at [itex]x=\pi[/itex], right? So the domain of f can't be only [itex](-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex].

4. Aug 6, 2011 #3
    Thanks for that =). I'm always forgetting to show the full domain in my trig functions...
    But, it seems that I'm still a little stuck with the implied domain =(

Let g : [-1,1] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [-[itex]\pi[/itex],[itex]\pi[/itex]] , be the function g(x) = 2arcsin(x)

Let f : (-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] + k[itex]\pi[/itex],[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] + k[itex]\pi[/itex]), where k [itex]\in[/itex] Z [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] R, be the function f(x) = tan(x)

ran(g) [itex]\cap[/itex] dom(f) = [-[itex]\pi[/itex],[itex]\pi[/itex]] [itex]\cap[/itex] (-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] + k[itex]\pi[/itex],[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] + k[itex]\pi[/itex]), where k [itex]\in[/itex] Z = (-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex],[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex])

Restricting dom(g) so that ran(g) = (-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex],[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]),

Hence, dom(f[itex]\circ[/itex]g)(x) = [-[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex],[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]]

But implied domain is wrong... Answer given = [-1,1]\{[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]}

5. Aug 6, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your domain for f is still wrong. Tangent is defined for all real numbers except odd multiples of π/2. Just picture a number line with holes at ±π/2, ±/2, .... What do you get when you take the intersection of that an [-π/2,π/2]?

6. Aug 6, 2011 #5
    Fingers crossed...
    f : R \ {k[itex]\pi[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]}, where k [itex]\in[/itex] Z [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] R, f(x) = tan(x)?

Let f : R \ {k[itex]\pi[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]}, where k [itex]\in[/itex] Z [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] R, be the function f(x) = tan(x)

ran(g) [itex]\cap[/itex] dom(f) = [-[itex]\pi[/itex],[itex]\pi[/itex]] [itex]\cap[/itex] R \ {k[itex]\pi[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]}, where k [itex]\in[/itex] Z = (-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex],[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex])

But implied domain is wrong... Answer given = [-1,1]\{[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]}

EDIT : My apologies.. made a number of errors

7. Aug 6, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why are you restricting the domain of g this way? The intersection of [itex][-\pi,\pi][/itex] and the domain of tan x isn't [itex](-\pi/2,\pi/2)[/itex].

8. Aug 6, 2011 #7
    Ah! Now I'm seeing (to some degree at least), how neglecting the full domain of tan(x) is leading me to my wrong answer.. I hope this attempt is correct now...

Let f : R \ {k[itex]\pi[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]}, where k [itex]\in[/itex] Z [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] R, be the function f(x) = tan(x)

ran(g) [itex]\cap[/itex] dom(f) = [-[itex]\pi[/itex],[itex]\pi[/itex]] [itex]\cap[/itex] R \ {k[itex]\pi[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]}, where k [itex]\in[/itex] Z = [-[itex]\pi[/itex],[itex]\pi[/itex]] \ {[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]}

Restricting dom(g) so that ran(g) = [-[itex]\pi[/itex],[itex]\pi[/itex]] \ {[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]},

= 2arcsin(x) [itex]\neq[/itex] [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

= arcsin(x) [itex]\neq[/itex] [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

= x [itex]\neq[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

Hence, dom(f[itex]\circ[/itex]g)(x) = [-1,1]\{[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]}

And it matches the given answer of = [-1,1]\{[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]}

Thanks A LOT for your help... Umm, unless i'm still not done yet (my working has errors)...

9. Aug 6, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook