Wait, there are actually numbered tiers? I always thought "tier 1" was just a subjective thing...
Anyway, on point: I would say definitely yes, at this stage of your life it is worth at least looking at out of state schools. Remember, you have almost an entire year before you actually need to decide where to go to college. And besides, the in-state/out-of-state distinction is pretty artificial; for one thing, wherever you live, there are almost certainly out-of-state schools that are closer to you than some in-state schools; for another thing, part of the "college experience" is moving away from home and learning to live (semi-)independently. Plus, it's quite possible that you can get better significantly better financial aid from an out-of-state private college (just to take the example I know, Princeton gives financial aid completely in the form of grants, so I never once had to take out a loan... I think someone told me once that Caltech does the same, but I'm not sure).
The point is, there's no reason not to at least look into out-of-state schools; the only thing it costs you is the application fee. You can always apply to Portland State as well, to keep your options open until the last minute.