Improper Integral of a Monotonic Function

In summary, we have discussed the relationship between a convergent improper integral and the existence of a limit for a monotonic function, and we have concluded that the limit must exist and is determined by the boundedness and monotonicity of the function.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##f: (1, \infty) \to [0,\infty)## be a function such that the improper integral ##\int_{1}^{\infty} f(x)dx## converges. If ##f## is monotonically decreasing, then ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)## exists.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem doesn't come from a textbook, so there are no restrictions on what theorems can be used. However, I would prefer an elementary solution. My strategy is to show that if ##f## is not bounded below, then ##\int_{1}^{\infty} f(x)dx## couldn't possibly converge. This would mean that ##f## would have to bounded below in addition to being monotonically decreasing, which I believe would imply that ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)## exists. I could use some hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Let ##f: (1, \infty) \to [0,\infty)## be a function such that the improper integral ##\int_{1}^{\infty} f(x)dx## converges. If ##f## is monotonically decreasing, then ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)## exists.

Homework Equations

This problem doesn't come from a textbook, so there are no restrictions on what theorems can be used. However, I would prefer an elementary solution. My strategy is to show that if ##f## is not bounded below, then ##\int_{1}^{\infty} f(x)dx## couldn't possibly converge. This would mean that ##f## would have to bounded below in addition to being monotonically decreasing, which I believe would imply that ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)## exists. I could use some hints.

If ##f## is not bounded below then there exists a ##c## such that ##f(x)<-1## for all ##x>c##, right?

Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

There is nothing to prove: you said that ##f(x) \in [0,\infty)##, so ##f## is automatically bounded below by 0.

Ray Vickson said:
There is nothing to prove: you said that ##f(x) \in [0,\infty)##, so ##f## is automatically bounded below by 0.

Good point.

Ray Vickson said:

Ah! Very keen eye! So the fact that the interval converges has no bearing on whether ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)## exists? What if we were to remove the condition and just stipulate that ##f## is a function from ##(1,\infty)## to ##\Bbb{R}##? Would I follow Dick's suggestion in that case?

Bashyboy said:
Ah! Very keen eye! So the fact that the interval converges has no bearing on whether ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)## exists? What if we were to remove the condition and just stipulate that ##f## is a function from ##(1,\infty)## to ##\Bbb{R}##? Would I follow Dick's suggestion in that case?

I would.

Likes Bashyboy
Bashyboy said:

I don't know what you mean when you say "the interval converges". Intervals do not converge; they just sit there, silently. However, integrals may converge.

Of course ##\lim_{x \to \infty} f(x)## exists, because ##f## is a bounded monotonic function. (There are theorems about that; you should look them up.)

The only remaining question is what the limit actually turns out to be.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite or the integrand is unbounded at one or more points in the interval of integration. This means that the integral cannot be evaluated using the standard methods and requires special techniques.

2. What is a monotonic function?

A monotonic function is a function that always increases or always decreases in a specific interval. In other words, the function either always increases or always decreases as you move from left to right on the graph.

3. How do you determine if an improper integral of a monotonic function converges or diverges?

To determine if an improper integral of a monotonic function converges or diverges, you can use the comparison test or the limit comparison test. If the integral can be compared to a known convergent or divergent integral, then you can determine the convergence or divergence of the original integral.

4. Can you use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate an improper integral of a monotonic function?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of calculus can still be used to evaluate an improper integral of a monotonic function. However, in some cases, the function may not have a traditional antiderivative, so other techniques may need to be used.

5. When is it necessary to use an improper integral of a monotonic function?

An improper integral of a monotonic function is necessary when the standard methods of integration cannot be used due to the unboundedness of the function or the infinite limits of integration. It is also necessary when the function does not have a traditional antiderivative.