Improper Integral of the following integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses an improper integral with limits of integration [0,∞) and the use of residues to compute it. However, it is determined that the integral does not converge and trying to prove its convergence using residues is pointless. The reason for its divergence is explained and a correction is made to the integrand.
eyesontheball1
How would one go about computing the following improper integral, with limits of integration [0,∞) using residues?

[itex]\int exp(x+1/x)/x[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral doesn't converge. There's no point in trying to find a way to prove that using residues.

How does it not converge though? I've been confused by this integral for quite some time. Using some crappy software of mine, the integral seems to converge to .2278. However, when I apply residues to this improper integral and integrate along a contour with a counter-clockwise semi-circle in the upper half plane and a small circle with radius approaching 0 around the essential singularity at z=0, I get that the integral is equal to 0, by using the fact that the series representation of this function can be written as the product of two absolutely convergent sums, thus allowing one to use the binomial theorem to write out each summand and then rearrange the terms of the series to arrive at the result of the coefficient of 1/z being equal to the infinite series from n=0 to infinity of a_k, where a_k = kth term of the series = (x^k/k!)^2. Sorry about being messy, I'm kind of in a rush at the moment and don't have time to write out all the appropriate syntax.

David

eyesontheball1 said:
How does it not converge though?
For positive ##x##, ##\exp(x + 1/x) \geq \exp(x)##, so the integrand is bounded below by ##e^x/x##. The latter function diverges to infinity as ##x \rightarrow \infty##, so certainly it can't have finite area.

Oh WOW! I'm sorry guys. The integrand should be exp[-(x+1/x)]/x, heh.

Last edited:

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or where the function being integrated is undefined at one or more points within the interval of integration. These types of integrals require a different approach than regular integrals in order to be solved.

2. How do you determine if an integral is improper?

An integral is improper if at least one of the following conditions is met:

• The upper or lower limit of integration is infinite.
  • The function being integrated is undefined at one or more points within the interval of integration.
  • The function being integrated has an infinite discontinuity within the interval of integration.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent improper integral?

A convergent improper integral is one where the limit of the integral exists and is a finite number. This means that the area under the curve can be accurately calculated. In contrast, a divergent improper integral is one where the limit of the integral does not exist or is infinite. This means that the area under the curve cannot be accurately calculated.

4. How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, you must first identify the type of improper integral it is (Type 1, Type 2, or Type 3). Then, you must use the appropriate method to solve it. This may involve finding the limit of the integral, using a substitution or a change of variables, or breaking the integral into smaller integrals. It is important to note that improper integrals may not always have a closed-form solution and may require numerical methods for approximation.

5. What are some real-world applications of improper integrals?

Improper integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include calculating the center of mass of a non-uniform object, determining the total amount of radioactive material remaining in a decaying substance, and evaluating infinite series in physics and engineering problems. They can also be used to model and predict population growth and economic trends.