1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper Integral using Comparison to determine Convergence/Divergence

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use a comparison to determine if the improper integral converges or diverges. If the integral converges, give an upper bound for the value.

Integral of d(theta) / (theta^3 + theta)^1/2 from 1 to infinity

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure which function would be a good comparison to use to determine convergence or divergence. Earlier in the assignment, I ran across an equation that was dx/(9 - x^2)^1/2 which was arcsin(x/3), and since this is +, it'd be arccos - however that was with x^2 and this is theta^3, I'm not sure if that would be a direct comparison or not.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2
    ∫ dx/√(9 - x2) is arcsin(x/3) + C, but a + between the two terms in the denominator would not involve arccosine in the integral but instead, arctangent. In fact, that integral could also be written as -arccos(x/3) + C. Most integrals involving arcsine or arccosine like this one can differ only by a sign and constant.
    For your problem, you don't have to actually find the integral, just find another integral with which to compare it.

Start with the comparison θ3 + θ > θ (for θ > 1) and work with it until you can make the left side look like your integrand 1/√(θ3 + θ)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook