Comparison Test for improper integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the comparison theorem to determine the convergence of the integral ∫ 0→1 (e^-x/√x) dx. The individual used the integral ∫ 0 → 1 (1/√x) dx as a comparison and found it to be convergent. They also noted that (1/√x) > (e^-x/√x), indicating that the original integral is also convergent. However, they had a question about whether it is acceptable to use the comparison theorem for limits of integration from 0 to 1 instead of 0 to ∞. The expert responds by stating that there is no reason why the comparison theorem would not be
sanhuy

Homework Statement

use the comparison theorem to determine whether ∫ 0→1 (e^-x/√x) dx converges.

Homework Equations

I used ∫ 0 → 1 (1/√x) dx to compare with the integral above

The Attempt at a Solution

i found that ∫ 0 → 1 (1/√x) dx = 2 ( by substituting 0 for t and take the limit of the defenite integral as t → 0^+) thus it is convergent. and (1/√x) > (e^-x/√x) so ∫ 0→1 (e^-x/√x) dx also converges.

But in my textbook they only use the comparison theorem for the limits of integration from 0 to ∞. would it still be acceptable to use the comparison theorem for this problem for limits of integration from 0 to 1.
Thanks for reading :).

Physics news on Phys.org
sanhuy said:
But in my textbook they only use the comparison theorem for the limits of integration from 0 to ∞. would it still be acceptable to use the comparison theorem for this problem for limits of integration from 0 to 1.
Thanks for reading :).
I don't see any particular reason why the comparison theorem for integrals wouldn't be valid with other limits of integration than ##0## to ##\infty##.

See for example here.

What is the Comparison Test for improper integral?

The Comparison Test is a method used to determine whether an improper integral converges or diverges by comparing it to another integral that is known to converge or diverge.

What is the formula for the Comparison Test?

The formula for the Comparison Test is: If 0 ≤ f(x) ≤ g(x) for all x ≥ a, and ∫g(x) dx converges, then ∫f(x) dx also converges. If 0 ≤ g(x) ≤ f(x) for all x ≥ a, and ∫g(x) dx diverges, then ∫f(x) dx also diverges.

How is the Comparison Test used to determine convergence or divergence?

The Comparison Test is used by comparing the given integral to another integral that is known to converge or diverge. If the given integral is smaller or equal to the known integral, and the known integral converges, then the given integral must also converge. If the given integral is larger or equal to the known integral, and the known integral diverges, then the given integral must also diverge.

What are the requirements for using the Comparison Test?

The Comparison Test can only be used if the integrand is positive and continuous on the interval of integration. Additionally, the integral must be improper, meaning that at least one of the limits is infinite or the integrand is unbounded on the interval.

Can the Comparison Test be used to determine the exact value of an improper integral?

No, the Comparison Test can only determine whether an improper integral converges or diverges. It cannot be used to find the exact value of the integral.