Improving hearing "Signal to Noise" by turning your head

In summary, the right ear is better for processing sound and the slewing phase helps the brain to focus.
berkeman
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
Why does turning your head often improve hearing in noisy situations?
I have long found myself turning my head fairly quickly when a noise steps on something I'm trying to hear. Sometimes it is just a noise like a bang or a pop that steps on a conversation I'm listening to, and sometimes it will happen when another person starts to speak and interferes with a conversation that is already going on.

I'd assumed up to now that it was the slewing phase of the sound getting to my two ears while I turned my head that helped my brain to process out the noise and focus better on what I'm trying to hear, but I did a Google search this morning and found that it may actually be that the right ear is the preferred ear for the best sound processing. Now that I see that, I do think that is the direction that I've always been turning my head.

Has anybody seen research about the slewing phase aspect of human sound processing? Or is it just as simple as the right ear (and the corresponding area of the brain) being better? Thanks.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...-ear-sound-helps-hear-better-scientists-find/
https://www.prima.co.uk/diet-and-he...s/a41735/hearing-problems-turn-head-to-right/

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Biology news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Summary: Why does turning your head often improve hearing in noisy situations?

that steps on a conversation I'm listening to
When you know the voice, you gain signal to noise ratio; Nam and radios, operators who knew each other's voices could pick up x-missions buried in "off-squelch" static regardless of which ear...to the point of picking up sarcastic inflections.

When stereo sound was developed, there was a lot of interest in how the ears perform direction finding. I think the conclusion is that for low frequencies, the ears can detect a phase difference, but for high frequencies, say above 1kHz, they rely on the amplitude difference. The head is about half a wavelength diameter at 1kHz, and the ear trumpets are about half a wavelength diameter at about 5 kHz, so will be most effective above this frequency (at low frequencies they still help match the mechanical characteristics of ther ear drum to that of the air). As the ears are on the sides of the head, they have a cardioid pattern directed to left and right, with an equal amplitude direction in the middle. Of course, the front/rear ambiguity can be removed by just turning the head slightly and seeing if the sound direction moves the correct way. No one mentioned right ear preference during stereo development as far as I know.

1. How does turning my head improve my hearing?

Turning your head can improve your hearing by allowing your ears to pick up different sound waves and angles. This can help to filter out ambient noise and focus on the desired sound.

2. Is there a specific direction I should turn my head for better hearing?

There is no specific direction that is universally better for hearing. It may vary depending on the individual and the specific environment. Experiment with different head positions to find the best one for you.

3. Can turning my head improve my hearing in noisy environments?

Yes, turning your head can help to reduce the amount of background noise and improve your ability to hear the desired sound. This is especially helpful in noisy environments such as restaurants or crowded areas.

4. Is there a limit to how much I should turn my head for better hearing?

It is important to avoid straining your neck or causing discomfort while turning your head. It is recommended to turn your head in small increments and find a comfortable position that allows you to hear clearly.

5. Can turning my head improve my hearing permanently?

While turning your head can improve your hearing in the moment, it is not a permanent solution. If you are experiencing hearing loss, it is important to consult a professional audiologist for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.