Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improving my engineering mathematics

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    Hello all,

I am very much interested in improving my engineering mathematics and have one specific question.. When you are reading papers and books which lay out mathematics do you read each equation, symbol, etc and does this help you to understand the mathematics and engineering better? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2
    Any input on this anyone? Thanks.

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3
    Reading equations only helps if you understand what they are deriving. Specific equations aren't the most important thing (and to be honest, most of those complex equations are generally not necessary to know, you can always look them up if you need them). The thing that helps is understanding the process that the equation went through. What did the author start with, what did he do to simplify and why, what variables are the most important, and which are insignificant. Studying the math about the dispersal pattern of a specific flower's pollen will not make you a better engineer. But understanding how math is used will.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook