Improving my engineering mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of understanding the process behind equations and not just memorizing them. Reading equations can be helpful in understanding mathematics and engineering better, but it is more important to understand the reasoning and variables involved. Simply studying specific equations may not be beneficial for becoming a better engineer.
MechEng2010
Hello all,

I am very much interested in improving my engineering mathematics and have one specific question.. When you are reading papers and books which lay out mathematics do you read each equation, symbol, etc and does this help you to understand the mathematics and engineering better? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any input on this anyone? Thanks.

Reading equations only helps if you understand what they are deriving. Specific equations aren't the most important thing (and to be honest, most of those complex equations are generally not necessary to know, you can always look them up if you need them). The thing that helps is understanding the process that the equation went through. What did the author start with, what did he do to simplify and why, what variables are the most important, and which are insignificant. Studying the math about the dispersal pattern of a specific flower's pollen will not make you a better engineer. But understanding how math is used will.

1. What are the most important concepts to understand in engineering mathematics?

The most important concepts to understand in engineering mathematics include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. These concepts are used extensively in various engineering fields and provide the foundation for solving complex mathematical problems.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in engineering mathematics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in engineering mathematics, practice is key. Make sure to work through a variety of problems and try to understand the underlying concepts and principles instead of just memorizing formulas. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining study groups can also be beneficial.

3. Are there any resources available to help me with engineering mathematics?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with engineering mathematics, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also seek help from your professors, classmates, or academic support services at your institution.

4. How can I apply engineering mathematics in real-world situations?

Engineering mathematics is used in various real-world situations, such as designing structures, analyzing data, and developing algorithms for computer programs. To apply it effectively, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and how they relate to the problem at hand.

5. What are some strategies for studying and mastering engineering mathematics?

Some strategies for studying and mastering engineering mathematics include practicing regularly, breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking help when needed, and reviewing material frequently. It is also important to stay organized and keep track of your progress to identify areas that need more attention.