Impulse and momentum problem pool balls

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving the conservation of momentum in a system with two balls. The person initially struggled with solving for the angle of ball 2 in the final position, but eventually figured it out after realizing they had made an algebra mistake.
isukatphysics69
impusle2.PNG
1. Homework Statement

in picture

Homework Equations

momentuma+momentumb=momentum of system

The Attempt at a Solution

So i just spent 1 hour trying to solve this problem and got completely stuck when trying to solve for the angle of ball 2 in the final position i ended up with an equation ((sinx)/(cosx+1)) = -0.4 which is unsolvable.
so now i am entirely confused on what to do.

I started off by getting the components of the momentum of each ball in each direction and trying to solve for the final velocity of ball 2 which ended up requiring the final angle of ball 2 and i could not solve for the angle. i need a different approach to this problem because i am completely stuck and getting frustrated

Attachments

• impusle2.PNG
    impusle2.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 678
Physics news on Phys.org
OK I JUST FIGURED IT OUT! >=0 I MADE AN ALGEBRA MISTAKE AND IT MESSUD UP EVERYTHING

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum in the context of pool balls?

Impulse is the force applied to an object over a period of time, while momentum is the object's mass multiplied by its velocity. In the case of pool balls, the impulse is the force applied by the cue stick to the ball, while the momentum is the resulting speed and direction of the ball after being struck.

2. How does the mass of a pool ball affect its momentum?

The mass of a pool ball directly affects its momentum. The greater the mass of the ball, the greater its momentum will be. This means that a heavier ball will be more difficult to stop or change its direction compared to a lighter ball.

3. Can the momentum of a pool ball be changed without changing its mass?

Yes, the momentum of a pool ball can be changed without changing its mass. This can be achieved by altering its velocity, either by increasing or decreasing its speed or changing its direction.

4. How does the elasticity of the pool balls affect their collision?

The elasticity of the pool balls, or their ability to bounce back after colliding, affects the outcome of the collision. In an elastic collision, the total momentum and kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning the balls will bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the energy is dissipated, resulting in a lower velocity and momentum of the balls after the collision.

5. Is the conservation of momentum always applicable in pool ball collisions?

In theory, the conservation of momentum should apply in all pool ball collisions. However, in real-life scenarios, there may be external forces such as friction and air resistance that can affect the outcome of the collision and cause a loss of momentum. Additionally, if the pool table is not perfectly level, the direction of the balls may be altered, also affecting the conservation of momentum.