Impulse imparted by the bat to the ball?

So the final velocity is negative. Similarly, if the bat is moving in the negative direction, the initial velocity is negative. When you plug in the numbers, just make sure you include the appropriate signs to indicate the direction.
DrMcDreamy
Question:

A(n) 0.55 kg softball is pitched at a speed of
20 m/s. The batter hits it back directly at the
pitcher at a speed of 27 m/s. The bat acts on
the ball for 0.02 s.
What is the magnitude of the impulse im-
parted by the bat to the ball?
Answer in units of N · s.

Equation:

I=m(vf-vi)

My Solution:

.55 kg (27 m/s - 20 m/s) = 3.85 kg m/s
I put in the answer but its incorrect. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Momentum and velocity are vectors--direction matters. (Check your signs.)

So would it be:

.55 kg (-27 m/s - 20 m/s) = -25.85 kg m/s ?

Looks good. (But just give the magnitude.)

Thank you!

May I ask why "27 m/s" is a -27 m/s? I don't understand that aspect of the problem.

DrMcDreamy said:
May I ask why "27 m/s" is a -27 m/s? I don't understand that aspect of the problem.
The sign is just a way of specifying direction. If the ball was originally moving (before hitting the bat) in the positive direction, after it gets hit it will be moving in the negative direction.

1. How is impulse imparted by the bat to the ball calculated?

The impulse imparted by the bat to the ball is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the bat to the ball by the time it takes for the bat to make contact with the ball. This can be represented by the equation I = F x t, where I is impulse, F is force, and t is time.

2. Does the weight of the bat affect the impulse imparted to the ball?

Yes, the weight of the bat does affect the impulse imparted to the ball. A heavier bat will have a greater mass and therefore, a greater force. This will result in a larger impulse being imparted to the ball compared to a lighter bat.

3. What is the significance of impulse imparted by the bat to the ball in baseball/softball?

The impulse imparted by the bat to the ball is significant in baseball/softball because it determines the speed and distance of the ball after being hit. It also plays a role in the power and accuracy of the hit.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the impulse imparted to the ball?

The angle of impact between the bat and the ball can affect the impulse imparted to the ball. A head-on impact will result in a larger impulse compared to an impact at an angle. This is because a head-on impact allows for the maximum transfer of force from the bat to the ball.

5. Are there any factors other than force and time that can affect the impulse imparted to the ball?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the impulse imparted to the ball. These include the elasticity of the bat and ball, the surface texture of the bat and ball, and the speed and direction of the pitch. These factors can impact the transfer of force and therefore, the resulting impulse imparted to the ball.