1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse Response In A Discrete System

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm looking for a bit of help

This is going to sound really easy (and I know it is) but I can't for the life of me remember how to work out the Impulse Response Function of this system. I've tried google for a few hours but nowhere that gives it in laymans terms.

What I would like to know is what the impulse response function h(n) is of System A

y(n) =[tex]\frac{x(n) - 2x(n-1) + x(n-2)}{2}[/tex]

Any assistance would be great, It doesn't even need to be the answer just how I can work it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

An impulse is 1 for n = 0 and 0 for any other n.
    Start with n = 0. How much is y(0)?
    Then make n = 1, 2, 3,... and calculate y(n). After a certain n, y(n) will be always zero.
  4. Jan 12, 2008 #3
    Take the Z transform of it. So,

Y(z)= X(z)/2 -2/2X(z)z^(-1) +X(z)/2(z^-2)and so on. Then you'll get a transfer function H(z)= Y(z)/X(z)

the Z.T. of an impulse can be found (look up the table, it is =1) then you find the inverse Z. T. to get y[n]

I think (you need to check it) Y(Z)= 0.5 + z^-1 + 0.5z^-2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?