1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In a popular amusement-park ride, a cylinder of radius 2.00 m is set in rota

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] In a popular amusement-park ride, a cylinder of radius 2.00 m is set in rota

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a popular amusement-park ride, a cylinder of radius 2.00 m is set in rotation at an angular speed of 6.00 rad/s, as shown in Figure 7-20 (http://www.webassign.net/sfhs99/7-20.gif). The floor then drops away, leaving the riders suspended against the wall in a vertical position. What minimum coefficient of friction between a rider's clothing and the wall of the cylinder is needed to keep the rider from slipping?

2. Relevant equations

mu = g/omega^2*R

3. The attempt at a solution

mu= 9.8/36*2 = .54

but it says im incorrect..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have it parenthesized wrong. mu=g/(omega^2*R), mu=9.8/(36*2). That's not 0.54.

4. Nov 7, 2007 #3
    so it's .14

i got that answer before, but its still incorrect.

5. Nov 7, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks pretty right to me. Answer keys are not always correct. But then I'm not always correct either. Did you try 0.13611111....

6. Nov 8, 2007 #5
    i typed in 0.13611111, and it worked! thank you!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?