Calculating Minimum Coefficient of Friction for Vertical Amusement Park Ride

  • Thread starter Thread starter chamonix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotational
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
chamonix
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a popular amusement park ride, a cylinder of radius 3.00 m is set in rotation at an angular speed of 5.00 rad/s. The floor then drops away, leaving the riders suspended against the wall in a vertical position. What minimum coefficient of friction between a rider's clothing and the wall of the cylinder is needed to keep the rider from slipping?

Homework Equations


Fs=mu*Fn
Fc=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution


I didnt know how to start this problem so any guidance would be helpful. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What forces act on the rider? Is the rider accelerating? What's the direction of the acceleration? What force provides the centripetal force? What force holds the rider up?

Apply Newton's 2nd law to both vertical and horizontal forces.
 
The forces acting on the rider is gravity, normal force which is equal to the centripetal force and the static friction is keeping the persons from falling. So if I use mus=fs/fn and fn=mv^2/r.
fs=g g=9.81m/s/s
mu=9.81/(5^2/3)
mu=.1308
and that's what I got. I think this is correct but am unsure.
 
Last edited: