1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In Desperate Need of Help! Analysis Homework

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f: R→R have the property that for every u and v in R.
    f(u+v)=f(u)+f(v)
    (a) Prove: If f(1)=m, then f(x)=mx for all rational numbers x.
    (b) Prove: If f is continuous, then f(x)=mx for all x ∈ R.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am really lost on this problem. We have kind of rushed through the topic of continuity, but I believe I should use the MVT on part (a) and the definition of continuity on part (b).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2
    For part a, here is a hint:

Notice that f(1) = f(1/2 + 1/2) so... Also, f(2) = f(1 + 1) so...

For part b, here is a hint: once you have shown part a, you will know that f(x) = mx at all values of x that are rational. Now, let w be irrational. Then, you can find rationals "near" w, in fact on any open interval around w there are rationals in that interval. Use part a and continuity to conclude that f(w) = mw.

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3
    How do you know that f(1) = f( 1/2 + 1/2) and f(2) = f( 1+1)? I am really bad at writing proofs.

5. Apr 20, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm :redface: … because 1 = 1/2 + 1/2 and 2 = 1 + 1 …

that's all Russell Berty :smile: is saying! :wink:

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5
    Thanks! I feel so special now. :blushing:

7. Apr 22, 2009 #6
    My professor suggested using f(3/2) = f(1+1/2) = f(1) + f(1/2) = f(1/2 + 1/2) + f(1/2) = f(1/2) + f(1/2) + f(1/2) = 3f(1/2).
    I guess I am having so much difficulty with this problem because I do not understand what it is really asking me to prove. I really need this broken down. It takes me a little longer than others I guess. :confused:

8. Apr 22, 2009 #7
    You want to show that f(x) = mx for rational x, and then from the continuity of f, show that this is true for irrational x too.

If x is rational, we can write it in the form p/q where both p and q are integers. Now we have:

f(p/q) = f(1/q) + f(1/q) + ... + f(1/q) (p times) = pf(1/q)

Prove that f(1/q) = m/q and then you're done with rational x. Use f's continuity to extend it to irrational x too.

9. Apr 23, 2009 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think your professor is being rather obscure. :frown:

Let's start again …

f(1) = m …

ok: then what's f(1 + 1 + … 1) = f(n) for a whole number n ?

and what's f(1/n + 1/n + … 1/n) ? :smile:

10. Apr 23, 2009 #9
    Is the first part mf(n)? Is the second part mf(1/n)?

11. Apr 23, 2009 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oooh, that doesn't even make sense :cry:

Be systematic …

write it out step by step

f(1) = m,

so f(n) = f(1 + 1 + … 1) = f(1) + f(1) + … + f(1) = … ? :smile:

And f(1/n) = … ?

12. Apr 23, 2009 #11
    Ok, the first part is f(1)=pm, and the second part is f(1/n)=p(m/n). I guess?

I am starting to feel about this problem the way my Algebra II students feel about their homework assignments. It is really giving me grief. I know the proof is probably very simple, but the more I think about the problem the more confused I become:confused:

13. Apr 23, 2009 #12
    No, f(1) = m.

Now if n is a positive integer, then f(n) = f(1 + 1 + 1 + ... + 1) n amount of times = f(1) + f(1) + ... + f(1) n amount of times = ??

Also, m = f(1) = f(1/n + 1/n + ... + 1/n) n amount of times = f(1/n) + f(1/n) + ... + f(1/n) n amount of times = ??

14. Apr 23, 2009 #13
    Ok, does the first part = mn, and the second part = m/n?

My professor also mentioned that for part (a) we should also include the proof that f(a/b)=af(1/b).
    For that part of (a) I have f(a/b)=f(a+1/b)=f(a)+f(1/b)=? This is where I got lost.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  15. Apr 23, 2009 #14
    There you go. You've showed that f(1/q) = m/q. Can you show what f(p/q) is equal to? And show your work next time please :)

16. Apr 23, 2009 #15
    Ok, f(p/q)=f(p+1/q)=f(p)+f(1/q)=f(1/q+1/q)+f(1/q)=?

17. Apr 23, 2009 #16
    f(p/q) is NOT equal to f(p + 1/q). W

e'll use a/b instead of p/q. To show that f(a/b) = af(1/b):

f(a/b) = f(1/b + 1/b + ... + 1/b) a amount of times = f(1/b) + ... + f(1/b) a amount of times = af(1/b). Can you now conclude what f(a/b) is equal to?

18. Apr 23, 2009 #17
    So, f(a/b)=ma/b. I hope this is right, because this assignment is due at 6:35p.m. I will try to finish on my own. Thanks for everyone's help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook