In memory of Martin Richard and Officer Sean Collier

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Memory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
22,714
Reaction score
7,806
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/funeral-held-boy-killed-marathon-bomb-19023472
AP/ABC said:
Funerals were held Tuesday for the 8-year-old boy killed in the Boston Marathon bombing and the college police officer authorities say was shot by the suspects.

A private funeral Mass was held in the morning for young Martin Richard, followed by his burial, a family statement said. Only immediate family members attended. A funeral was also held for Massachusetts Institute of Technology police Officer Sean Collier, fatally shot three days after the bombing.

"The outpouring of love and support over the last week has been tremendous," the Richards' statement said. "This has been the most difficult week of our lives and we appreciate that our friends and family have given us space to grieve and heal."

. . . .
Peace be upon them and their families, friends and colleagues.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Officer Collier's funeral was today.

http://news.yahoo.com/slain-mit-officer-memorialized-campus-163649349.html
 
A post at http://officer179.mit.edu/

The officer stood and faced his God, Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shinning, Just as brightly as his brass.

Step forward now, Officer, How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek? To my church have you been true?

The officer squared his shoulder and said, No, Lord, I guess I ain't,
Because those of us who carry badges can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays, And at times my talk was rough,
And sometimes I've been violent Because the streets are tough.

But I never took a penny That wasn't mine to keep..
Though I worked a lot of overtime, when the bills got too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me, I've wept an unmanly tear.

I know I don't deserve a place among the people here.
They never wanted me around except to calm their fear.

If you've a place for me here, Lord, it needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much, But if you don't...I'll understand.

There was silence all around the throne, where the saints often trod.
As the officer waited quietly for the judgment of his God.

Step forward now, Officer. You've borne your burdens well.
Come walk a beat on heaven's streets, You've done your time in hell

- Author Unknown
Godspeed brother. You won't be forgotten.

UMBPD 260
paul.parlon@umb.edu
4/22/2013