In search of a Graphing Program for Excel data

In summary, a good graphing program to do this is KaleidaGraph, but it costs $150. There are other programs that are able to do what you need, but they cost money.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Here is essentially what I need to do for a school essay:

I have an excel sheet with 200 points (x corresponding to A1 column values, y corresponding to B1 column values). I need to find a way to transfer this to a graphing program in quadrant 1 (all x,y coordinates are >= 1 and less than or equal to 20.

I need to be able to graph the circle with radius 20 (just the quadrant 1 selection of it) here as well.

A good graping program to do this was brought up b the teacher --> KaleidaGraph. However, it cost $150.

Is there anything free-graphing program that's able to do what I need? If not, what other programs out there, that cost money, are able to do this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
Here is essentially what I need to do for a school essay:

I have an excel sheet with 200 points (x corresponding to A1 column values, y corresponding to B1 column values). I need to find a way to transfer this to a graphing program in quadrant 1 (all x,y coordinates are >= 1 and less than or equal to 20.

I need to be able to graph the circle with radius 20 (just the quadrant 1 selection of it) here as well.

A good graping program to do this was brought up b the teacher --> KaleidaGraph. However, it cost $150.

Is there anything free-graphing program that's able to do what I need? If not, what other programs out there, that cost money, are able to do this?

Thank you.

Is there a reason you don't just use a (connected line) Scatter Plot in Excel? :smile:

Likes RJLiberator
Well, the professor mentioned that Excel's graphing program isn't the best option.

I would like a program that is better suited to graphing scientific figures.

I ended up using Maple 18 to graph. Things went exceedingly well.

I copied my two columns from excel into a matrix and used that to display my points, and another plot of a circle to display what was needed.

1. What are the features of a good graphing program for Excel data?

A good graphing program for Excel data should have a variety of customizable graph options, such as bar graphs, line graphs, and pie charts. It should also have the ability to add labels, titles, and legends to the graphs, as well as the ability to format and style the appearance of the graphs.

2. How do I choose the right graphing program for my Excel data?

When choosing a graphing program for Excel data, consider your specific needs and the types of graphs you need to create. Look for programs with user-friendly interfaces, good customer reviews, and a variety of features that meet your requirements.

3. Can I import data from Excel into a graphing program?

Yes, most graphing programs for Excel data allow you to import data from Excel spreadsheets. This makes it easier to create graphs without having to manually input the data.

4. Are there free graphing programs for Excel data?

Yes, there are many free graphing programs available for Excel data. Some examples include Google Sheets, OpenOffice Calc, and LibreOffice Calc. These programs offer basic graphing capabilities and can be a good option for simple data visualization needs.

5. How can I export my graphs from the graphing program back into Excel?

Most graphing programs for Excel data have an option to export the graphs back into Excel. This can usually be done by saving the graph as an image file, such as JPEG or PNG, and then inserting it into the Excel spreadsheet. Some programs also have a direct export feature that allows you to export the graph as an Excel file.