1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In search of applications of radiation pressure

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    can anyone tell me the applications of radiation pressure?
    i have manged to find out one application i.e in solar sails but still my instructor is demanding more applications. i have also found an abstract of an article its about Adiabatic electron thermal pressure fluctuations in tokamak plasma at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11497950 but there is not enough detail present there. please help

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Radiation pressure is important in stars. I don't know if that counts as "application".
    For small objects in the solar system, radiation pressure can be relevant, too.

4. May 23, 2013 #3
    i dont think he would consider it as an application, but cant it be placed in some other portion of my assignment?

5. May 23, 2013 #4

Ibix

Science Advisor

Laser cooling? You shine a laser on an atom coming towards you to slow it down.

6. May 23, 2013 #5

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

7. May 27, 2013 #6
    can you give me a little detail of it plz

8. May 27, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Laser cooling
    With the right setup, particles absorb light if they fly in the opposite direction (so they get slower) and emit in in some random direction again (with just a small impact on their average velocity).

9. May 28, 2013 #8
    thaks alot mfb

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted