Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In the haber process why is the yield higher when liquid?

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    I know that setting the conditions so that the product is formed as a liquid will produce a higher yield in the manufacture of Ammonia, but why is this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea what you mean - unless it is a trivial removal of the product from the gaseous phase.

4. Dec 2, 2014 #3

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

For the Van 't Hoff relation, but pressure is expensive to maintain.

After Borek's comment above, yes, ammonia is removed by cooling the mixed gases from the reaction chamber, condensing the ammonia and returning the unreacted nitrogen and hydrogen to the reactin chamber.

5. Dec 2, 2014 #4
  6. Dec 2, 2014 #5

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

7. Dec 2, 2014 #6
    Thanks, that was an interesting read but I couldn't find anything that seemed to provide an explanation to the question I posted the link to.

8. Dec 3, 2014 #7

Borek

I have already addressed this.

9. Dec 3, 2014 #8
    Sorry, I really do appreciate your help, but I can't see how your reply provides an answer to this question that I posted the link to

"What effect would there be on the position of equilibrium if the reaction was cooled to below ammonia's boiling point and ammonia collected as a liquid?"

With the answer being that the equilibrium would shift to the right.

10. Dec 3, 2014 #9

Borek

It is a direct application of Le Chatelier's principle. Do you know it? If not, google.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook