In these images,how can I remove the backgrnd noise in matlab?

In summary, to identify and remove background noise in Matlab images, you can use image processing techniques like edge detection, thresholding, and filtering. This can be automated using a for loop or batch processing function to save time and effort. While there is no specific tool or function in Matlab for noise removal, the Image Processing Toolbox offers various options. To ensure important features are not affected, you can experiment with different techniques and parameters. Techniques like adaptive filtering or wavelet denoising can remove noise without significantly altering the overall appearance of the image, but the right method should be chosen based on the type and level of noise present.
Urmi Roy
I have to isolate the cell(seen as a bright blob) in the attached images from the background the zig-zag.

The problem is essentially that the intensity/brightness of the cell is almost equal to its backgraound, so I can't just subtract frames!

Attachments

• frame200.jpg
    frame200.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 517
  • frame360.jpg
    frame360.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
After filtering the images with medfilt2 twice, I get the following image...
http://imgur.com/D60kG

However, the cell is no longer the brightest spot here, so do I go for some other filter or does the criterion on the basis of which I locate the cell change?

Please suggest.

1. How do I identify and remove background noise in Matlab images?

To identify background noise in Matlab images, you can use image processing techniques such as edge detection, thresholding, and filtering. Once the noise is identified, you can use functions like "imopen" or "imclose" to remove it from the image.

2. Can I automate the process of removing background noise in multiple images?

Yes, you can use a for loop or a batch processing function to apply the same noise removal method to multiple images. This can save time and effort when working with a large dataset.

3. Is there a specific tool or function in Matlab designed for removing background noise?

There is no single tool or function in Matlab specifically for removing background noise. However, the Image Processing Toolbox offers a wide range of functions and techniques that can be used for noise removal.

4. How can I ensure that the noise removal process does not affect the important features in my image?

To avoid removing important features while removing noise, you can experiment with different noise removal techniques and adjust the parameters to find the optimal balance between noise reduction and preserving image details.

5. Is it possible to remove background noise without significantly altering the overall appearance of the image?

Yes, by using techniques such as adaptive filtering or wavelet denoising, you can remove noise while preserving the image's overall appearance. It is important to carefully choose the noise removal method based on the type and level of noise present in the image.