Can I remove rust by applying current?

In summary, applying the proper potential can affect the rate of corrosion but it will not fully remove the oxide layer and restore the metal's strength. A method for removing rust using electrolysis has been shared on a website, but it does not fully incorporate the rust back into the metal.
fysik
hello
let's say we have a rusted piece of metal
if I apply the correct current
can I force the oxygen in the metal oxide to be removed and leave only the metal intact?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Applying the proper potential can retard corrosion, and the opposite potential can greatly speed up corrosion.

But the oxides are not great conductors, and even if you get the unozidized metal atoms back, they will no longer be part of the substrate in the sense of adding mechanical strength - more of a powder on top.

Dr. Courtney said:
Applying the proper potential can retard corrosion, and the opposite potential can greatly speed up corrosion.

But the oxides are not great conductors, and even if you get the unozidized metal atoms back, they will no longer be part of the substrate in the sense of adding mechanical strength - more of a powder on top.
There is a website giving a method of removing rust using electrolysis, http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm.
I have tried it on a small scale and it will often work, but it does not re-incorporate the rust into the base metal, as has been stated.

1. Can applying current really remove rust?

Yes, applying current, specifically through a process called electrolysis, can effectively remove rust from metal objects.

2. How does applying current remove rust?

When an electric current is passed through a rusted object, it causes a reaction that breaks down the rust and separates it from the metal surface. This process is known as electrolysis.

3. What materials are needed to remove rust using current?

To remove rust using current, you will need a power source, a container of water, a sacrificial anode (a piece of metal that will corrode instead of the object being cleaned), and a conductive material to connect the anode to the object being cleaned.

4. Is it safe to remove rust using current?

Yes, it is generally safe to remove rust using current. However, caution should be taken when working with electricity and corrosive materials. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and wear protective gear.

5. Are there any limitations to removing rust with current?

While applying current can effectively remove rust from metal objects, it may not be suitable for all types of rust. For example, heavily corroded or pitted surfaces may still require additional cleaning methods. Additionally, certain types of metals may be more prone to damage from electrolysis, so it is important to research and test the process beforehand.