In your opinion, what is the highest value a society should strive towards?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date

In your opinion, what is the highest value a society should strive towards?

• Total voters
LOL... Well, I have all sorts of vague, half formed insults to throw around in good fun, using words like 'honky' and 'arian' ....

I feel so victimized here!!! Though I'll take your responses as an indication that you think there's something to the argument, ie : that it is understandable that women claim they are discriminated against (particularly since we *are.*)

LOL.

James R. : Make my day and tell me that you are black or some other non-white "race." Go on.

Skyhunter
pattylou said:
LOL... Well, I have all sorts of vague, half formed insults to throw around in good fun, using words like 'honky' and 'arian' ....
I feel so victimized here!!! Though I'll take your responses as an indication that you think there's something to the argument, ie : that it is understandable that women claim they are discriminated against (particularly since we *are.*)
LOL.
James R. : Make my day and tell me that you are black or some other non-white "race." Go on.
:uhh: I am not white. I am a very light shade of pink. :wink:

Archon
I'm a half-white half-black half-asian half-hispanic transsexual with the head of a lion and the legs of a goat. Also, I was born of a jackal and raised by wolves. My father smelt of elderberries.

I voted for enlightenment. :smile:

Edit: Actually white male. Sorry to disappoint you, ladies.

pattylou said:
it is understandable that women claim they are discriminated against (particularly since we *are.*)
Tsk tsk, ladies. Begging the question as always I see. (thats not all you beg for, either)

Archon
Wow. This thread has recently gone down the drain, so to speak.

I voted for enlightenment, and I think it's the only option that really makes sense, not necessarily because all of these other things would follow from enlightenment. Rather, I chose enlightenment because only when we're enlightened (whatever that means) can we understand what is best for us. For all we know (unenlightened as we are), things like liberty are harmful in the long run. Thus, it seems to me that either with enlightenment will come all the other "good" things mentioned above, or different "good" things which we don't yet understand as being good.

I am tired. I shall write my UC essays now. Two days to go until my application is due. Not off topic: I am in fact 1) making an excuse for my likely incoherent rambling above and 2) demonstrating my unenlightenedness, as evidenced by the fact that I have two days to finish my application, and as many essays to write before that is accomplished. Procrastination is not enlightened.

is not enlightenment that actualization of liberty, equality, security and properity? actually it it none othe these. it is infinitely more!! based on my last post, on a "consciousness thread" my poll answer is enlightenment. but what does that mean!?!? rather, i would say, the self-actualization of being... or better yet, Self-realization! without knowing what the self is, how can we depend on any knowledge that is built upon it. the self is the most immediate object of knowledge and is the trunk of the knowledge tree. face it, if i believed that, and acted as though, i were something that i truly am not, my body of knowledge would be much askewed by that very belief/identification. the idea of the self is the ground upon which all knowledge claims are constructed. the idea of what the world is depends entirely upon what i think that i am.

not only can we not depend on the consequent body of knowledge, but we can put no faith in the perceptions that we have, as a result of false self-Knowledge!! surely this knowledge, is true Knowledge.

Archon said:
Procrastination is not enlightened.
How do you know? You're not enlightened. I'll have you know buddha was quite the procrastinator. Maybe the entire universe revolves around procrastination!

Since this has fallen to equality, I'm going to touch on One flew over the cuckoo's nest. Outside of the insane asylum, white males oppress females and blacks. Inside of the asylum, a white female and black males oppress the white males.

Understanding that you're being descriminated against is one thing, but don't descriminate against others out of anger/spite/etc.

Sure you're treated unfairly, so am I (depend on who I'm around, of course), but don't become what you hate. Difference between MLK and (early) Malcolm X.

Sidenote that shouldn't be the sidenote: Understanding oneself is a step toward enlightenment o:)

Smurf said:
How do you know? You're not enlightened. I'll have you know buddha was quite the procrastinator. Maybe the entire universe revolves around procrastination!

the buddha is not what you say buddha is. tathagata is not the name or the label, imposed by mind. we are talking about a transcendental nature here. do not attempt to imprison or confine the buddha to you description/perception of the buddha.

Archon
Smurf said:
Ha! I know precisely because I'm not enlightened! If procrastination was enlightened, then I would be enlightened. Since I'm not, procrastination isn't either.

And the universe can't revolve around procrastination! This is true for one major reason. Procrastination doesn't have a mass or a charge or anything else. Thus, the universe can't revolve around it. And obviously procrastination can't have a charge or mass or anything, because the universe doesn't revolve around it. See! It's so simple even the unenlightened can see it!

I never intended to derail the thread, nor make a statement beyond: "It will be interesting to see who values equality more than other options."

This is not an attack upon any particular group, in intent or in any other way.

I have a half formed idea that all the world's problems can be traced (in one way or another) to inequality. I had half thought to make that argument earlier, as others are making with their choices.

Civil war: Mistreatment of blacks.

WWII: (Pearl Harbor and) mistreatment of jews.

Etc. Anyway, it would take more of an effort to construct the argument than I want to invest. Still, the idea that one option would lead to all the rest, or that one is the necessary foundation for all the others --- I expect you can make that argument for many of the options provided.

You know, it gets to the "us vs. them" mentality, which I am certainly *not* trying to foster, but rather to raise awareness (ie 'enlighten') about. I seem to be failing.

pattylou said:
LOL.
So what exactly do you mean here?
I believe I said that I think all groups wind up being discriminated against. How could any one infer that I don't believe women are discriminated against from that? And why do you feel you have to qualify the idea by saying "particularly since we *are*"?

I do not think that the experience of being discriminated against is the element that would make people choose equality on the pole but rather the perspective they have chosen to adopt based on their experiences as a whole.

I like how honor isn't a choice.

Patty said:
I have a half formed idea that all the world's problems can be traced (in one way or another) to inequality. I had half thought to make that argument earlier, as others are making with their choices.
Was it really inequality or lack of freedom?
The term Equality seems to be being used in a rather nebulous way.
What exactly does equality mean to you?

Oh, I see, Pattylou. My reaction came from some recent experiences I've had. Sorry for misinterpeting you. It would be interesting to see if the perceived "highest value a society should strive for" is primarily based off of intense personal experience. As far as tracing the world's problems to inequality, I'd say you're probably right. Most of what I know on that account is economic inequality, though.

where did inequality come from? i mean, why would any one want to treat another unequally?

sameandnot said:
where did inequality come from? i mean, why would any one want to treat another unequally?
Instinctually preservation of ones self and family are any animals highest priority. Logically that would put anyone else on an unequal level in such an animals mind. The more complex social interaction becomes the more complex the reasons for inequality become until the animal evolves past those instincts.

what might that state be?

excellent!!

Well, people usually (if not always) treat others unequally because they feel they have the right to. People may feel this way because an individual or group has wronged them, so they treat others with similar trait(s) with hostility.

As for where inequality came from, my guess is:

1) Inequality of the genders came about from males and females assuming their most natural roles as evolution brought it about. Eventually females realize that they can do much that males can do (and vice-versa, but this would probably have been a less severe problem). Since males were brought up believing that they need to be strong, among other things, to protect females, they wouldn't readily accept females into their roles (since they're perceived as weaker (which is generally true in a physical sense)). This is reinforced through group agreement by the physically more powerful males, leading to less noble reasoning at keeping females "in their place". This has evolved extensively to where there's no real reason to keep females out of most male-dominated jobs. On the flip-side, there's no reason to keep males out of most female-dominated jobs, either.

2) Inequality of the races came from economic differences and perceptions bred from that. It's my understanding that people didn't really care about skin color until they had to fool themselves to give themselves the moral conscience to treat others unfairly. Afterall, who cares what color her/his skin is if his/her goods are cheaper?

3) Economic inequality comes from luck and skill. Luck in getting good opportunities or birth. Skill from being able to manipulate events in your favor. Economic inequality is perpetuated because the people with the money have the most guns (basically)*.

*This assumes feudal-type heirarchy. I'm not getting into a debate about economic theories.

Smasherman said:
Oh, I see, Pattylou. My reaction came from some recent experiences I've had.
I doubt that this is the case, certainly not all of the time, but I think the idea that we base our choices on our life history makes perfect sense. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic in this response or not, so I'll assume you are not.

I maintain that it is interesting to see who picks what option; it is further interesting to consider why different groups might pick different options - what their motivations might be, or their thought processes. Some might see one option as preferable due to a completely rationale (non-emotive) process. Others may not. In the case of my personal choice, I wondered if historical discrimimination against women (pay, employment opportunities, etc) plays a part in my thinking. I don't think it does, but who knows?

No doubt everyone is passed over unfairly at some point or other. But because the general trend is that some groups seem to have a more difficult time (academically, professionally, experiencing discrimination, etc) than others, it stands to reason that such groups may place more emphasis on the creation of a society that does not discriminate in this manner.

I am not implying that the other options are less noble, merely that I wouldn't choose those options. We all have to choose one, if we want to participate, which means not choosing all of them.

Thank you, Smasherman, for the notes about inequalities through history.

~~~~~~

TSA: You asked what I think equality means. To me, it means recognizing that every person is a human being, and that the actions towards one group could have easily been directed against a different group had the dice (historical events) fallen differently. It also means recognizing the connectivity of actions and people on the planet. When one group treats another group in a particular way, there are ramifications for the first group. EX: Our hostility towards the Middle East has negative repercussions for our country. The problem is *not* contained in the middle east. Children and women, innocent civilians, who are being killed (and some argue that they are targeted but let's not open that can of worms here; I am simply trying to illustrate the idea of equality as I hold it) are being called things like "collateral damage." (they are being dehumanized; they are being treated unequally.) Images of Katrina poured over the media, but images of Fallujah didn't. That's inequality. It's valuing Americans over Iraqis.

I am not anti-American. But, I think until we recognize that a child being killed in Fallujah experiences every bit as much pain and astonishment and fear as a child that died from Katrina, we will not be an ideal society.

This is a physics forum, most people WILL vote for enlightenment.

sameandnot said:
the buddha is not what you say buddha is. tathagata is not the name or the label, imposed by mind. we are talking about a transcendental nature here. do not attempt to imprison or confine the buddha to you description/perception of the buddha.
Siddhartha then. Sue me.