Inclined plane pulley problem -- lab report help please

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of linearizing an equation and the conditions under which it can be applied. There is also a request for a diagram to aid in understanding the setup of a lab experiment. The equation ##a=\frac{m_2g-m_1g\sin(ø)-m_1g\cos(ø)u}{m_1+m_2}## is mentioned and the importance of parentheses is emphasized.
Jimmyjonny12
Homework Statement
Hi I have a lab report where I have to linearise the equation below so that it becomes y=mx+c where y= acceleration(a) and x= angle of inclination(sinø) this is all I have gotten to so far
Relevant Equations
a=m2g-m1gsinø-m1gcosøu/m1+m2

u=friction coefficient

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Is there a diagram that goes with this lab experiment/report? It's hard to visualize the setup from your explanation. You can use the "Attach files" button below the Edit window to upload a PDF or JPEG image of the problem. Thanks

Jimmyjonny12 said:
I believe you mean ##a=\frac{m_2g-m_1g\sin(ø)-m_1g\cos(ø)u}{m_1+m_2}##. Parentheses matter!
Not sure what you mean by linearising in this context. If you substitute y for a, x for sin(ø) and √(1-x2) for cos it will not yield a linear equation. Applying a small angle approximation would not make it linear unless you take the cos to approximate 1.

Linearizing an equation at a particular x-value(a): L(a)=f(x)+f'(x)(x-a).
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linearization
You're just getting the equation of the line tangent to the curve at that point.
I don't know if that is what your lab is asking you to do.

1. What is an inclined plane pulley problem?

An inclined plane pulley problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the forces and motion of an object on an inclined plane that is connected to a pulley system.

2. How do I set up an inclined plane pulley problem?

To set up an inclined plane pulley problem, you will need to first understand the forces acting on the object, including gravity, normal force, and friction. Then, you will need to draw a free-body diagram to visualize the forces and use equations such as Newton's second law to solve for the unknown quantities.

3. What is the purpose of using an inclined plane in a pulley problem?

The purpose of using an inclined plane in a pulley problem is to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. By using the inclined plane, the force needed to lift the object is spread out over a longer distance, making it easier to lift.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in an inclined plane pulley problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid in an inclined plane pulley problem include forgetting to include all of the forces acting on the object, using incorrect equations, and not properly setting up the free-body diagram.

5. How can I check if my solution to an inclined plane pulley problem is correct?

You can check if your solution to an inclined plane pulley problem is correct by using the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. If your solution is correct, the total energy and momentum before and after the object moves should be equal.