Inclusions of submflds. and diffeomorphisms.

In summary, the conversation discusses the inclusion map on submanifolds and under what conditions it is a diffeomorphism. It is mentioned that if S is a submanifold of M, then giving S the weak topology and using the inclusion map, it can be a homeomorphism. However, this is only true if S is open in M. The conversation also brings up the concept of immersed and embedded submanifolds and the conditions for a subspace S of M to be a submanifold.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, everyone:

I am a little confused about the issue of the inclusion map on submanifolds.

AFAIK, if S is a submanifold of M , then if we give S the weak (or initial) topology

of the inclusion, then the inclusion map is a homeomorphism.(his is the way I understand,

of making the inclusion map of a subspace into a space, into a homeomorphism. If

S is open in M, with this initial topology, then I think inclusion is also a diffeomorphism.)

Question: under what conditions on S is the inclusion map a diffeomorphism?.

I think that if S is closed in the topology of M, or at least not open in M , and

given the weak topology, then the inclusion may not be a diffeomorphism.

Is this correct?.

And when is a (topological) subspace S of M a submanifold, other than when S

is open in M, i.e., S is open as a subset of M?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to distinguish between immersed and embedded submanifolds (see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submanifold" ). For immersed submanifolds the inclusion is an injective immersion, but not necessarily a homeomorphism onto its image (i.e. an embedding). If it is an embedding then the submanifold is an emdedded submanifold and the inclusion is also a diffeomorphism onto its image, this is not completely trivial and requires the implicit function theorem.

And when is a (topological) subspace S of M a submanifold, other than when S

is open in M, i.e., S is open as a subset of M?

If one can find charts of M such that S looks locally like R^k in R^n.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are inclusions of submanifolds?

Inclusions of submanifolds refer to the relationship between two manifolds, where one manifold is contained within the other. In mathematical terms, this means that the submanifold is a subset of the larger manifold.

2. What is a diffeomorphism?

A diffeomorphism is a type of function that maps points from one manifold to points on another manifold in a smooth and invertible way. Essentially, it is a bijective map that preserves smoothness.

3. How are inclusions of submanifolds related to diffeomorphisms?

Inclusions of submanifolds are often used to define diffeomorphisms between two manifolds. This means that the submanifold is mapped onto the larger manifold in a smooth and invertible way, preserving the structure of the original manifold.

4. What is the importance of inclusions of submanifolds and diffeomorphisms in mathematics?

Inclusions of submanifolds and diffeomorphisms are important concepts in differential geometry, as they allow for the study and manipulation of geometric objects in a smooth and consistent way. They also have applications in physics and engineering, where smoothness and continuity are crucial.

5. Are there any real-world examples of inclusions of submanifolds and diffeomorphisms?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of inclusions of submanifolds and diffeomorphisms. One common example is the relationship between a flat map of the earth and a globe. The flat map is a submanifold of the globe, and the transition between the two can be described by a diffeomorphism.