1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Increase in speed, decrease in time

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 4.0 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 9 s. What was your original speed in mi/h?

(this is from chapter 1 in my physics book, but it's been a long time since I've had math and for the life of me can't figure out how to set it up!)

Xmph=original speed
    t= original time seconds/mile
    s= seconds
    It seems to me that Xmph/t = (xmph+4mph)/(t-9s), but I can't figure out where to move from here... please, any help on the set-up of this equation would be greatly appreciated! I know this is supposed to be easy but my brain just can't work it...
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2
    From the first hint, you are trevalling one mile in t seconds.

So your original speed is v = 1/t miles/s

Second hint: New speed = v + 4 = (1/t + 4) miles/s ---------(1)

Time to go 1 mile decreesed by 9 sec means it took (t-9) sec to travel one mile this time.

So new speed can also be written as 1/(t-9) ------(2)

combine (1) and (2).

1/t + 4 = 1 /(t-9)
  4. Jan 12, 2006 #3
    Solve for t. Your original speed is 1/t miles/s
  5. Aug 23, 2006 #4
    Please forgive me for trying to exercise my 50+ year old mind to keep alzheimer's at bay...by working on physics problems.

I came across this problem and tried to solve for "t" ending up with t= 37 seconds. It was at this point that I got a brain "phart". (sorry)

I am lost. What am I not thinking about. Just a hint to get me back on track...I want to think this through myself if I can. Thank you. Casey
  6. Aug 24, 2006 #5
    ...after sleeping on this I got it figured out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?