Increasing total magnetic moment: permanent magnets ONLY

In summary, John has discovered that a paperclip can be weakly magnetized and wants to know how to make a stronger bar magnet without access to electricity or stronger magnets. It is possible to create a stronger magnet through experimentation and the process was likely discovered centuries ago. For further information, a treatise titled "The Early History of the Permanent Magnet" by Edward Neville Da Costa Andrade, published in 1958, can be referenced.
JeffEvarts
This is possibly an engineering, rather than physics, question. (Ooooooooo! Busted!)

John picks up a paperclip and notices that it has been (very weakly) magnetized... it attracts other paperclips, but only at ridiculously short distances. John wishes to foster this interesting characteristic, but has no access to electricity or stronger magnets.

How should he proceed to eventually make a strong bar magnet?

I have no proof that such a thing is possible, but it seems to me that if I can rub a needle repeatedly with a magnet to organize the needle's molecules along an axis, without losing the original magnet's magnetism, then perhaps it is. My bet is that someone, hundreds of years ago, had the same thought and a lot more time to experiment, so I would guess it's a long-solved problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a permanent magnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that produces its own magnetic field and retains its magnetism over a long period of time. It is made up of ferromagnetic materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, and has a north and south pole.

2. How can I increase the total magnetic moment of a permanent magnet?

To increase the total magnetic moment of a permanent magnet, you can increase the strength of the material it is made of, increase its physical size, or stack multiple magnets together in a specific orientation.

3. Can I change the magnetic moment of a permanent magnet?

No, the magnetic moment of a permanent magnet cannot be changed. It is a characteristic of the material and cannot be altered once the magnet has been magnetized.

4. What factors affect the magnetic moment of a permanent magnet?

The magnetic moment of a permanent magnet is affected by the strength and type of material it is made of, its physical size and shape, and the presence of any external magnetic fields.

5. How does temperature affect the magnetic moment of a permanent magnet?

Temperature can affect the magnetic moment of a permanent magnet by causing a decrease in its strength. This is due to the thermal motion of the atoms within the magnet, which disrupts the alignment of their magnetic moments.