Indefinite forms and l'hopital

In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of x^x as x approaches 0 from the right. The solution involves using L'hopital's rule and manipulating the expression to be in terms of ln. By doing so, the limit can be evaluated as 1 instead of 0. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the relationship between e^x and ln(x) in solving this type of problem.
Square1

Homework Statement

*indeterminate* oops

the limit of x^x as x goes to zero from the right

Homework Equations

Going to be using L'hopital, and related algebraic manipulations to convert to indefinite form 0/0, infinity/infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that this limit produces initially by plugging in 0 the indefinite exponential form 0^0, and so I have the choice to either:

a) take natural log, bring down the x...
b) write in exponential form of 'e'

I always use the log method bc I don't really get truly what's going on in method b. When I use 'a', I end up with the form -x, which gives me a limit of 0. When 'b' is used, the textbook says the limit is 1, because 'e'^xlnx = 'e'^0 = 1. This is in Stewart's single var. calc text as an exponential indefinite form example.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a) and (b) are essentially the same. Any number, u, can be written as [itex]e^{ln(u)}[/itex] so that [itex]x^x= e^{ln(x^x)}= e^{xln(x)}[/itex]. Since [itex]e^x[/itex] is continuous, [itex]lim e^{xln(x)}= e^{\lim (x ln(x)}[/itex].

Ok but the book gets an answer of one, and I keep getting zero!

Square1 said:
Ok but the book gets an answer of one, and I keep getting zero!

You might be getting the limit of the ln of your expression. If this limit is 0, then the limit of the expression itself (rather than its ln) will be 1.

Note that under certain conditions, the operations "limit of ..." and "ln of ..." can be switched.

Ok I got it! I think it is what mark was talking about.

I evaluated the limit of xlnx = 0, and forgot that by manipulating theoriginal expression to be in terms of ln, that I have lny on the other side. So I forgot to do the last step which is solve for y in lny = 0 , which equals 1.

1. What are indefinite forms?

Indefinite forms are mathematical expressions that cannot be evaluated using traditional methods. They typically involve dividing by zero or taking the logarithm of zero.

2. How does l'Hopital's rule work?

L'Hopital's rule states that when evaluating an indefinite form, the limit of the ratio of two functions is equal to the limit of the ratio of their derivatives. This allows for the evaluation of otherwise indeterminate forms.

3. When can l'Hopital's rule be applied?

L'Hopital's rule can only be applied when the limit of the ratio of two functions is an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used if the limit is already a determinate form.

4. What are the limitations of l'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule can only be applied to certain types of indeterminate forms and may not always provide a solution. It also requires taking derivatives, which can be time-consuming and complex.

5. Can l'Hopital's rule be used for other types of limits?

No, l'Hopital's rule is only applicable to limits involving indeterminate forms. For other types of limits, alternative methods such as algebraic manipulation or substitution may be used.